Quad vs Dual Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Covert, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Covert

Covert

Could someone shed some light on this for me?

I have a dual card, running 2 monitors right now. I would like to add a third monitor to that computer- What are the pros and cons of adding another dual card(I do have an available slot) vs. installing a quad card. I'm using this computer for charts and internet. Do I need a quad, or is the option of 2 dual card sufficient?
    Thanks

2. gnome

gnome

You can add a singlehead, dualhead, or quad... you don't have to use them all if you have "extra" heads... just the ones you need.

The only consideration is getting one which is compatible with your primary card.

3. Covert

Covert

Thanks, Gnome-
    Other than getting another 'available head', is there any option that is more desirable than another?

4. gnome

gnome

No.

5. dchang0

dchang0

Might be wiser to add more heads now so that later, if you needed to, you could attach more monitors without using more slots.

Boy, I wish I had bought a quad-head PCI-e card back when I built my desktop. Right now, I'm stuck facing the prospect of having to switch out the motherboard to get another PCI-e x16 slot just to go from a dual-monitor setup to a tri-monitor. The cost is prohibitive, to say the least.

6. dcvtss

dcvtss

Make sure your PC has a good power supply, graphics cards are power hungry. Definitely easier to change it while your doing the graphics card instead of having to do it later. 500 watts should be enough.

7. Apache

Apache

I have two dual-head cards in my PC. I also game on my trading PC since it's pretty buff. The two video cards cause a lot of instability and whereas I had no issues I can no longer play any game for longer than 15 minutes. For desktop applications I have no issues.

I would say that if you can get a single quad-head card do that-- it will reduce instability.