quad video card versus 2 dual cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by T3-Jeff, Mar 30, 2006.

1. I used a Matrox G550 AGP dual head together with a Matrox G450 PCI dual head (so quad-screen) setup for years without problems. Matrox drivers are great in such an environment.

#11     Apr 7, 2006
  2. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

Got multiple quad cards, waiting in the wings. Used matrox quad cards are cheaper than 2 new dual.

If 1 dual card goes out, just put in the quad card. Beats being dropped down to 2 monitors.

Another great set-up, idea: If you MUST have some 128+mb cards....like gnome said go real deal ATI duals.Get a cheap matrox quad to put away for back-up, if one of the duals goes out. It's a great cheap back-up, and allows you time to get another replacement dual.

#12     Apr 7, 2006
  3. T3-Jeff

T3-Jeff T3 Trading Group

Thanks for all the advice. I installed a second Radeon card on my Dell 4700 and now I have quad monitors.

Jeff

#13     Apr 7, 2006
  4. I have had 1 matrox G450 and one G550 for 2 yrs now, running quad monitors. I've been thoroughly impressed and have not had any problems. I just recently bought another matrox for PCI, to have 6 monitor capability.

The reason I didn't get 4-in-1 is for the very reason of redundancy.. I can deal with the loss of 1 card, and work for a couple days with only 2 (now 4) until CDW shipped me a replacement.

good luck on the new setup

#14     Apr 8, 2006