Quad Matrox & GeForce4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TGregg, Jan 20, 2003.

1. TGregg

TGregg

Has anybody tried dual monitors on a GeForce card and quad on a Matrox for a 6-mon system? On WinXP?

2. TGregg

TGregg

WinXP Pro
    P4 2.26 533
    1 gig PC1066
    GeForce4 Ti 4600 (AGP)
    Gigabyte 850E GA-8IHXP

G450 4x???

3. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I am currently running a GeForce 3 and the Matrox G450 dual monitor card. I had a few driver issues at first, but once I got that settled, its worked great (I had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers after the Matrox card was in). I am running XP. I don't know if you'll get the same results with the quad card. I considered going with the quad, but why spend 6 or 8 times as much for a quad when you can get the dual card for under $100 each? If I need to add screens I'll just add another G450.

4. TGregg

TGregg

Hey, thanks for the info War Eagle. Can you spread one application across 2 dual matrox cards? The main reason I am upgrading is to get more charts from Tradestation. . .

5. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

As far as I know, yes. I run TS and can spread it across all the screens regardless of which card is running them. But I am not running 2 Matrox cards, just the Matrox (running two screens) and the GeForce (running 1). I don't think there is any change if you add another Matrox.

6. YES. I can spread/stretch my desktop, workspace, and apps over EIGHT monitors with FOUR Matrox 450 dual cards. Works great and works flawlessly. It's one HUGE STRETCHED SPACE. Easy Easy Easy:D

7. alanack

alanack

Got to www.realtimesoft.com and click on Multi-Monitor Resources to see several thousand cpu/video card combinations of people using two or more monitors, along with their comments about whether or not they've had problems with their particular setup.

8. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

And all that costs less than one quad card (with enough left over to buy another monitor). Provided you have the free PCI slots, it seems like a no-brainer.

9. Precisely WarEagle.

I can't wait for the day of the one huge wall-sized lcd/plasma screen with 1600/1200 resolution (or better).

Now that will be a sight to behold.

10. TGregg

TGregg

Hot Dog! Thanks for all the great info!

#10     Jan 20, 2003