Quad-head Video Card buying help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by no_agenda, Jul 1, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

The original G200 MMS QUAD were all analog. I do not know if they make them anymore - you might be able to get them on Ebay.

One thing, I believe ALL cards are digital - it is the CABLE that does the analog<-->digital conversion, so even the current G200MMS QUAD with the analog cables will work on analog monitors. Check with Matrox.

nitro

#11     Jul 2, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

If you want to economize, you can get 4 single ATIs for < $100 to run on W2K.

#12     Jul 2, 2003
  3. Catoosa

Catoosa

I have four of the Matrox g200 quad cards. They are still being made but you can buy them used for about $150 with analog cables. Be sure the cards have the four heat sinks on the chips as these cards generate a lot of heat. Matrox site has the drivers for most any operating system. Buy the matrox brand and not a "Compaq" version of the card. These are great cards and are a bargain at $150 or less.

#13     Jul 2, 2003
  4. catoosa,

Do you run four g200's in the same box? Does it cause a heat problem? That card doesn't have a fan does it?

#14     Jul 2, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

The cards do not have a fan.

Someone is selling these cards without heat sinks?

nitro

#15     Jul 2, 2003
  6. Thanks AAA, will do.

Hey, this is probably going to sound insane, but how do I know if my card is AGP or PCI?

Reason I ask is that under my Display Settings, Advanced it shows me Display Adapter Information for my video card and states "Bus Type: AGP".

HOWEVER,

Under Device Manager, Display Adapters, then clicking on my video card icon, it shows under the General tab the following:

"Location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0"

What the heck?!? :confused:

#16     Jul 3, 2003
  7. i think most board will have only one agp slot. all the other slots are pci. Look inside ur computer u will see the difference right away.

#17     Jul 3, 2003
  8. If it came from the manufacturer that way, it's undoubtedly an agp card. Look in your manual, and it should identify the slots. Then open the case and see where it is.

#18     Jul 3, 2003
  9. Banjo

Banjo

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...53-07.JPG/13-127-153-08.jpg/13-127-153-11.JPG
    The agp slot is the brown one on the top of the picture, the others on the top (white) are the pci slots, where you would place the other vid cards which would have to be pci cards. The agp slot is always offset from the pci slots and the card itself has a differntly shaped base (plug). The agp slot is always the closest to the processor.

#19     Jul 3, 2003
  10. my god :-(

#20     Jul 3, 2003