Quad core for trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcvix, Oct 19, 2009.

1. I know, simultaneously arbing 7000 instruments is a bitch, especially at the open.

Here he is , holding his balls.

[​IMG]

#21     Oct 21, 2009
  2. RedSun

RedSun

Things are changing. People say trading computer does not use much CPU, but that is not the case. I had a dual-core CPU and the Java-based trading station and the market data workstation use a lot of CPU power. Then I have 4 browers open for news and online TV. Add email, IM, etc. The CPU load is about 70%. When the market was busy, the market data workstation can feeze for a few minutes.

Some of the applications are optimized for multi-core CPUs.

Get the most power if you can get. Hardware is cheap now.

#22     Oct 22, 2009
  3. Not sure if this will ever be completed. See post http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178747

#23     Oct 22, 2009
  4. nitro

nitro

I don't know how this impacts NVDA. If I did, I would probably already have a position in NVDA, because flat can't be right.

The market seems to think it is bad enough to keep NVDA from cooperating on market rallies, so it must be pretty serious. Regardless, I pray it does not impact Fermi.

#24     Oct 22, 2009
  5. nitro

nitro

My balls hang lower than that.

#25     Oct 22, 2009
  6. lol, I don't know if you missed the Tesla reference or not.

#26     Oct 23, 2009
  7. Indeed you need as many cores as you can get your hands on, core i7s can be had for $199 now. We are traders, since when is $200 for a top of the line processor overkill? We multitask with our 2 to 8 monitors, just do it.

#27     Oct 23, 2009
  8. This is true, but quad-core processors are in general running at much lower clock rates than older CPUs of the same price range. A typical system we get now has dual quad-core E5520's, 2.26GHz. These cores benchmark decidedly slower than the 3.36GHz dual-core from 3 years ago or even the 3.6GHz single-core CPUs we were buying 4.5 years ago (we still have some of those running). But since the newer system has 4 or 8 times as many cores as the older systems, the overall throughput is better.

#28     Oct 25, 2009

9. didnt know this,

thanks for the reference,

will look into this,

on laptops, they only just started releasing the i7's

would be interesting to see if the form factor will easier support the i5's,

Clevo (taiwan mfgr behind all the major brands) has full desktop motherboard in the laptops just to support the i7's,

perhaps the i5's will use the prior laptop boards and cooling and less than 17" form factors

either way, thanks for the vote of confidence in the chipset

#29     Oct 27, 2009