Quad Card VS: 2 Dual Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nereus, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Tums

Tums

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=18500

#11     Oct 11, 2008
  2. #13     Oct 11, 2008
  3. IMHO . . . it's overkill.

A server will accomplish the same result and then build super workstations with great video, a bunch of memory and a quiet box.

#14     Oct 11, 2008
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

Decided to do some maintenance on the puters today and managed to mess one up. Drives ya goofy!!!

I have 3 dual cards in an older box, Abit IC7-G mobo, 478 socket 3.4 Intel chip. This box will be replaced next......but in mean time it was served me very well. Today i went in and cleaned out the dust etc from the fansand took a feather duster and did what we do with feather dusters.

Fired the box back up and seem to have lost the AGP screens. The 2 pci cards (all 3 cards are NVIDIA) show up in display properties as the 4 screens that light up upon booting.

I go into SYSTEM in the control panel and hardware, device manager and click on DISPLAY aDAPTERS and on ly 2 cards show up and working fine...........NO 3rd card shows up.

I took the AGP card out and tried it in another pc and it worked fine. Put it back in the original pc and it is a no show but the 2 pci cards work fine.

Any ideas what the feather duster screwed up? This is a new one on me. HA

PS: I went into BIOS and tried AGP as initial startup and also tried PCI as initial startup, nothing changed.

#15     Oct 11, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Could the AGP slot have gone bad?

Do you have another video card to try in that slot? Maybe alone, without the PCI cards?

#16     Oct 11, 2008
  6. bighog

bighog Guest

Fixed the AGP this morning. Gnome, thks for suggestion. I myself last night was trying to figure what the heck could go wrong with the slot. Seems i must have hit the card with the duster and cocked the card from the front contacts. The motherboard must be a little warped because the card contacts will rock a little in the slot and in order to make proper contacts the FRONT of the card must be all the way in. Kind of weird to say the least.

My record of never ruining a vid card stays intact. I must have bought and used 15 cards in all my puters. This experience reinforces my contention to only buy DUAL head cards instead of QUAD cards. With 2 head cards if one goes on the fritze is is no real big deal. To drop a QUAD card , that could be a problem.

Ok, now ready to rock and roll again tomorrow morning. Gonna miss this wild west trading. Many traders were buried on Boot Hill last week. Mkts like this seperates the wheat from the chaff.

Good trading to one and all.

PS: aside from the comments about this mkt that i just saidi have refrained from commenting in forums because for the most part. But one last comment about this financial turd show. We constantly here how "we are a resourceful people"
    "we are a people to move forward"
    "we are so great at this or that"

What the ones that say they will fix this forget to say is we are also the ones that fuck up royally and are feeding a line of bs. We will get over all of this when the last cow comes home and not a day before. Gona be a lot more spilled milk before the cows have their utters working again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdS9ZJ_Wf4k

#17     Oct 12, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

AGP slots are notorious for requiring the card to be fully seated...

I think that's why they put the little hook on PCIE cards and the clip on the mobo now.

#18     Oct 12, 2008