Quad 2.4 or Duo 3.0?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmiles301, Dec 30, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Not only that... but during the trading session, the CPU is hardly used at all... most everything runs from RAM... exception would be if you're running multiple tic charts... that tends to use more CPU.

#51     Feb 6, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

At a given clock speed, the quads are faster.

#52     Feb 6, 2009
  3. gnome

gnome

The i7s run 135W.
    Core 2 Quads run 95W
    Core 2 Duos run 65W.

Intel is supposedly coming with new quads @ 65W.

#53     Feb 6, 2009
  4. gangof4

gangof4

i have another take based on my experience:

i use 20 charts and would prefer to have more like 30- given a system that can handle it. the problem, as i see it, is how poorly the programs are written. memory leaks, etc. i have to restart programs a few times during a trading day when they start to bog down. dual core, quad core, 4gb, 8gb.... they all seem to struggle with the # of charts i use. usually fine when the programs start, but they degrade from there. my understanding is that this is a product of poor software programing (correct me if i'm wrong). so, we traders have to build gaming quality computers to make up for the quality of programming that goes into trading software.

so... i'm about to have an i7 computer built to give that a go. seems like ridiculous overkill for a trading only computer, but it seems that's what i need...

#54     Feb 6, 2009
  5. gnome

gnome

You're likely right... problem is with software. But getting an i7 rig unlikely to help.

Suggest having fewer charts open... especially if they are tick charts.

I've had more than 50 RT charts open with MetaStock and eSignal (archiving the data on my HD, not generally relying on eSignal server)... with no problem at all and nearly zero CPU usage once loaded...

#55     Feb 6, 2009
  6. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

What charting software do you use?

#56     Feb 6, 2009
  7. wait for the new intel chips to be in your price and get one

#57     Feb 22, 2009
  8. You've got to be kidding.

#58     Feb 22, 2009