Quad 2.4 or Duo 3.0?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmiles301, Dec 30, 2008.

1. And therein lies the rub . . .

They have a load balancer on their servers and unfortunately even though my office is relatively close by, they can't direct me exclusively to the servers at their headquarters. Instead, I get routed back to Massachussetts, as well as other places where their server farms are, which then subjects me to numerous hops and all sorts of Internet congestion.

On another note, a few years ago I had issues with quotes lagging, and literally stopping after several minutes ( in the ES and SPX ) and spent 2-weeks troubleshooting the issue. I was literally doing THEIR JOB for them, and yet they couldn't solve the issue.

Why anyone would base their hardware decision on E-Signal supposedly coming out with a multi-thread platform by the end of 2009 is absolutely beyond me.

#41     Dec 31, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

From CA to MA and back?... that makes no sense at all...

#42     Dec 31, 2008
  3. bighog

bighog Guest

Trying to upgrade a computer is a waste of money because you can never get the latest and greatest by putting in more memory (should load it up from the git-go) or putting in a better graphics card (trading you only need a 2D card, not 3D). Not to mention that memory keeps changing and your mobo will only allow you to use such and such.

As far as the chip goes you are limited to the chips that fit into the motherboard and we all know they keep changing the sockets.

Trying to upgrade a computer is like trying to keep your old beater car when the new models are out.

Sorry to "ENLIGHTEN" you killthesunshine but well heeled people do not upgrade computers, they pass them to the kids in a school etc and bite the bullet and buy a new model. PS: are you still driving a 1973 Buick Electra 225?

#43     Jan 1, 2009
  4. Tums

Tums

believe me, the kids have better and more powerful computers.

#44     Jan 1, 2009
  5. I do not want to rain on your parade....but if a Pentium 3 with XP pro can suffice....

Well...answer your own question...

You do not use your trading computer to surf do you?

Wifey

#45     Jan 1, 2009
  6. hi Bespoke,

I am glad you find out about this, i am having the same issue, using a AMD 9850 quad to run charts and broker's, a dual to run chat and news. Thinking about a new desktop, coz the quad ain't fast, might do a fast dual later. The 9850 is currently running 13 multipiler at 2.6G per core.

Also agree on softwares not running multitreads (symmetrical multi-treading (SMT) for using all the cores), read on some Java related website, transaction are executed in single tread for security reason, but charting softwares for retails really ain't taking advanage of multicore technology. Unlike the gaming industry, retail finance programmer don't get run out of business for writing half arse softwares.

I hope someday someone will bring out a chart with progressing by nVidia CUDA technology (graphic card as part of processing/calcuation), which is cheap and highly scaleable by us retail traders/computer buyer. But I doubt any data provider will spend $ to do the research in the current economic climate.

hi DmanX, i run a quad and the charts does lag sometimes with the tick feed, but only during fast market maybe once or twice a week. I only run 8 charts, and 5 indicators and a few EMAs. Mind you, i don't surf with the trading box, and I got zero spywear scan result for months, currently running 4G 800 on 32bit XP.

#46     Jan 1, 2009
  7. I think it's kind of ironic that people get into all of these "latest and greatest" hardware discussions when the FACT of the matter is that 99% of the financial trading platforms that provide quotes and charts are not even designed to take advantage of multi-core processor technology.

On another note, your HARDWARE is only as good as the broadband connection that you have to your quote vendor's server farm.

Try asking yourself these questions:

Are you located on the West Coast and your feed has to come all the way from the East Coast ( NY, NJ ) and get through all of those hops and Internet "congestion" which your broadband provider has absolutely ZERO control over?

Done a "trace-route" to your quote server lately to see what kind of latency you are facing?

These are important questions, and ones that I suggest are even MORE IMPORTANT than spending a ton of money on a trading rig that won't be able to take advantage of multi-core processing technology in the first place.

#47     Jan 1, 2009
  8. after seeing the power of the i7 chip. I don't tknow how anyone can buy anything else

#48     Feb 5, 2009
  9. i could perturb a local planet's orbit for a nanosec with that chip !

that chip rulz! :)

#49     Feb 5, 2009
  10. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

LOVED this post!
    You are a 110% correct about this.

As a geek... i hate to see wasted power :(
    But of course, if people can afford it, why not. But most of the time, people are wasting money.
    But some are trying to go too deep in the reasoning about getting a super computer for trading when they don't understand how their own software works.

But of course, it's always better to have more power than not enough.

#50     Feb 6, 2009