QQQQ & SPY Options Trading: 1 Trade per day with $2,000 Account

Discussion in 'Options' started by increasenow, Feb 11, 2009.

1. If $600 is 'huge' and if you cannot hold overnight, then you are not ready to trade options.

Please don't use options to gamble.

Mark

#11     Feb 14, 2009
  2. no, what I was saying is that I cannot hold futures overnight due to not having enough margin...but I can hold overnight on options...and yea...totally not gambling at all...serious trading only...

#12     Feb 14, 2009
  3. I really like SPY options...they are the number 1 in options volume virtualy every day...and you can hold overnight...

#13     Feb 14, 2009
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Avoiding mamrgin won't prevent the OP from being labeled a pattern day trader.

If he makes more than 3 day trades within five business days, he's a PDT and must mmaintain $25G in his account... unless the number of day trades is 6% or less of total trades for the five business day period. So if he doesn't have the 25G, he'll have to trade infrequently, stay under 6% of total trades or hold overnight.

#14     Feb 14, 2009
  5. nlslax

nlslax

Wrong...:D

#15     Feb 14, 2009
  6. SForce

SForce

Despite your belief, and misinformation, you are wrong. So is nlslax who posted after this. I'm not speaking from my ass on this, I'm in a cash account and don't get labelled PDT and don't have a 25k requirement.
    The majority of brokers follow the rule how it was written, not how some interpret. You'd have to check with your specific broker for the interpretation they follow. I can name at least 4 brokers off the top of my head that don't flag cash accounts as PDT since the rule says PDT applies to margin accounts.

For your viewing pleasure here is a link to a major broker addressing this topic directly.

Read the last line under the first section, titled "Learn about FINRA Rule 2520 and NYSE Rule 431", just before you see "Note" in bold.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/estation/pricing?id=1307030000#__highlight

#16     Feb 15, 2009
  7. Your undestanding is correct (for cash accounts). In addition trade clears in T+1, which is good.

#17     Feb 15, 2009
  8. SForce

SForce

Thanks for the reassurance. I know it is. If I were wrong I'd have a few locked accounts right now.

#18     Feb 15, 2009
  9. yea guys...I've totally cleared this type of trading with my broker...total cash account (no margin account) and buy and then sell once per day or buy on one day and sell on the next and buy at end of day (but not close out and sell that day) and from there...SPY are most liquid...

#19     Feb 15, 2009
  10. 4.11 current VIX daily trading range
    2.59 current SPY daily trading range

equals great trading opportunities

#20     Feb 15, 2009