QQL, NexTrend, or what?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by LokiSkywalker, Apr 8, 2002.

1. I'm currently opening an account with IB, and deciding on the quotes/charting package I want to use. I'm just starting to trade equities after studying for a few months, so I don't want to spend too much for the top of the line software (so RealTick is out, for one).

On the other hand, I plan to do a lot of intraday trading and some scalping, so I need fast quotes and good charting. I would probably like some kind of real-time futures quotes because I intend to use them in my strategy (so QQL is out? or can I get the e-mini quotes elsewhere?). What packages would people recommend? From my research, it looks like Qcharts is good but slow, and that NexTrend is the favorite, but the charting is hard to get used to and has some very annoying aspects. Are those impressions correct?

What does everyone who is using IB for executions recommend I get?

Thanks a lot!

-Loki

2. JPB

JPB

Nextrend with IB works for me. There are a few quirks to get used to, but the datafeed is pretty solid and I actually like the charts, once I got used to them.
    However, they just released a new version I'm having some problems with, so we'll see how they handle that.
    I have never used Realtick or QQL, so maybe someone else can give you a good comparison.
    Also check this thread: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=1634

-Johnny

3. Trader01

Trader01

I like QQL. They have a 14 day money back trial. It takes about 5 minutes to sign up, and you have instant access to the software. They handle your credit card with care. They email you in advance, and tell you how much they will bill your account. Also, you are not obligated to a long term contract. Your agreement with them is month to month. You can upgrade or downgrade your account at anytime. The data feed and charts are decent. They handle stocks only, no futures. I would pass on the fee based news service, though. Yes, I would rather have RealTick, but right now, QQL is doing a fine job.

You can upgrade your IB stock account and receive emini s and p and naz 100 quotes for 10 dollars a month. That's what I do. You can upgrade your IB account online, and do not have to call them to set up your futures quotes. Best of luck.

4. BSAM

BSAM

QQL.

BSAM

5. I'm the king of the cheap bastards and too am fairly new at this game. After trying QQL, Esignal, and Qcharts as well as investigating others and watching Realtick in action for a week of solid trading with a mentor I have come to the following conclusion. 1-you get what you pay for (usually). 2-good tools cost real money. 3-I can't afford not to use Real Tick if I'm serious about this game long term. I realize others have their personal choices, and maybe you're best off just trying all of them for a month while paper trading. Other than proprietary trading platforms (to which I cannot speak) I truly believe that Realtick offers better VALUE than any other choice, if you're going to daytrade.

6. So it looks like I'm choosing between QQL and NexTrend. Anyone who's tried them both have any comment on which is a better value? Anyone who's tried TradeCast (which I'm demoing now) have anything to say about the merits of those platforms over it?

Also, re futures: Is it possible to take the IB future feed and chart it in the platform of my choice? Or at least in Excel (preferably with candles?)