QM volume picking up

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by brownsfan019, Dec 5, 2005.

1. While volume on the QM was weak when first changed to ClearPort, it appears to be picking up. At one point today we saw over 400 sellers at one particular tick. I hope this is a sign of things to come as we traded the QM quite a bit when on Globex and with the change and low volume, we were just waiting to see if the volume picked up again.

Just curious - how many QM traders are here?

2. I'm an occassional QM trader. Just started trading it about 2 weeks ago, made a few bucks. I like that it's very directional.

3. I was very active on both QM and QN, but virtually stopped after the change because i lost my DOM (can't see the depth) and because they only accept Limit orders. This means I would have to watch the market all day long versus putting in a stop and walking away. NYMEX are stupid and I can only assume they want to kill the market.

4. I trade Qm via IB. No problem during the trasition.
    If you want to find out how many people on ET trade QM, you may want to contract a poll.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Schindler Trading trades the QM and it's a great market. Even now at 10pm Eastern time it is a one tick market.

Natural gas was too thinly traded last time I looked and we don't trade it.

Aaron Schindler
    Schindler Trading

6. "but virtually stopped after the change because i lost my DOM (can't see the depth) and because they only accept Limit orders"

Leapfrog - I understand about the limit orders; however, just so you know, you can place a Stop Limit with Trade Maven, but it just sits on your computer, not the exchange. As for the DOM, we have much MORE depth than Globex - probably twice as much. I use Alaron with Trade Maven.

7. danoXP

danoXP

Trading QM on IB for several years.

Nice tight spread during market hours. Quick market fills during big moves at reasonable prices.

But, I am not trading any real size.

... looking at trading NG. Esp. on it's latest move up.

8. Don't forget about the smaller spread in the pit. Trading QM is just lining up to be scalped- you only get a fill when someone else has made a profit from your order.

It could be a cost advantage for a hedger. If they don't pay pit commissions and get screwed on their order. But for traders why would you put up with such an unfair market?

9. Aaron

Aaron

FYI...

<b>Exchange to Reduce Size of NYMEX miNYTM Natural Gas Futures Contracts</b>

NEW YORK, N.Y., December 5, 2005 — The New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc., announced today that it will reduce the size of its NYMEX miNYTM natural gas futures, beginning with the February 2006 contract.

The contract will be reduced from 5,000 million British thermal units (mmBtu) to 2,500 mmBtus. The January 2006 NYMEX miNYTM natural gas futures contract (5,000 mmBtus) will expire on December 27, at 2:30 PM New York time. The February 2006 contract (2,500 mmBtus) will be listed for trading on December 27, at 3:15 PM New York time, for the trade date of December 28.

http://www.nymex.com/press_releas.aspx?id=pr20051205a

I saw this press release thanks to the John Lothian newsletter.

Aaron Schindler
    Schindler Trading