QCharts replacement

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by thomas, Apr 18, 2001.

1. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

ST,

I have used qcharts on multiple monitors. You should be able to select the option to have your desktop extended across both monitors (in the display properties). Then you just restore down your qcharts and drag the application across both monitors. Of course, this still doesn't make their tech support competent, so this may not be a long term fix...

Kirk

#11     Apr 20, 2001
  2. js1257

js1257

Soratrader

You would download a couple of qchart programs but put them in different subdirectories and then pull up each different subdirectory and log on to qcharts each from the different subdirectories so you could run a couple of qchart programs, or something similar to this?

#12     Apr 20, 2001
  3. EliteTrader has really done a great job improving its site. Not too many sites continue to improve. I got an email telling me that WarEagle and js had replied my thread. This feature wasn't there last time I posted a message. Thank you EliteTrader.

Also, thanks to WarEagle and js for their comments. Since I am not too techno savvy, I shall be using simple language for clarity. Please forgive this imbicilic style.

WarEagle, you say that I CAN extend my viewing area to multiple (four in this case) monitors.

Please say if you use Win 2000 or a multi-monitor card from someone like Appian graphics or what? I do not. All I have is four simple video cards in four slots on the mother board and they are running under Windows 98. W98 allows for one PRIMARY monitor (designated No. 1). This is also the monitor where the desktop icons rest. Once you click on an icon and launch a program, say QCharts, that program opens up and occupies the default monitor (under W98 each program seems to remember its default monitor since the last use). If you MAXIMIZE the program it will fully occupy that particular monitor. In order to move it for viewing in one of the other monitors you have to click on the RESTORE button (this is the two-tiny-squares icon on the upper right hand corner of the program's window, mid-way between MINIMIZE and MAXAMIZE). Once the program window is in its RESTORE size, it can be dragged to another monitor. After going to another monitor if you MAXAMIZE it, it will fully occupy the new monitor (and ONLY that monitor), which is now the default monitor for viewing this program. If you MINIMIZE the program window, it will go straight back to the PRIMARY monitor's bottom bar.

Now if I am running QCharts, under my W98 setup I cannot drag individual charts and tables to other monitors. This has been my experience. I shall continue to tinker and try your suggestions and see what works. I'm told W2000 will let you do more. But I have no experience with W2000.

js,
    Yes, that is exactly how I used multiple copies of QCharts. Last year when I got QCharts, tech support told me how to do it. Under C:\Program files\Quote.com\ you have to make subdirectories called QCharts-1, QCharts-2, QCharts-3 and so on... In other words QCharts has to be installed separately in each of these sub-directories. Then QCharts has to be run (you'd better have plenty of RAM) multiple times from each of the sub-directories. Its as if you were running several programs under windows. Only in this case they are all QCharts. Each one has to be logged on to the Quote.com QFeed server using your account ID and pass word.

I did this for all of last year and until earlier this year and it was never a problem. But now they say you cannot run multiple copies even though you may be only one user. So this this the crux of my problem. And I am beginning to realize that I am going to change to another date vendor. This is a shame because I like the QCharts software. Does not have too many bad bugs (but the ones it has, they don't correct them, despite my feedbacks during their Beta test runs). It seems to me that ever since Lycos took over Quote.com things have been heading South big time.

So its back to square one again. In search of the data vendor (one that gives clean data, has flexible features and allows multiple viewing). There is no peace, alas.

ST

#13     Apr 20, 2001
  4. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

ST,

I am running Win 2000 with two monitors and two separate graphics cards, but I would imagine that it will work with four as well. I am basically doing what you described. I restore qcharts so that I can drag it to both screens. Then I just resize it to fill both screens (not maximize...if you maximize, it will, like you mentioned, maximize only to one screen). I can now drag individual charts and place them wherever I would like within the workspace which now covers both screens.

Hope that helps,

Kirk

#14     Apr 20, 2001
  5. js1257

js1257

SoraTrader
    Do you have the same video cards or different video cards? When you rt/clk your desktop and bring up display properties and click settings do you get a box at the bottom under colors that asks if you want to extend your windows desktop onto that monitor? If you get that box you should be able to minimizebut not minimize all the way qcharts and then extend it all the way across the monitors that you want it on. You can do this in win98 and win2000.There is also a hotkey setup where you can setup the keys (ctrl + 1 to 0) to toggle between 10 different workspaces for viewing.Go to file in upper left corner and left click.

#15     Apr 20, 2001
  6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey

SoraTrader
    04-20-2001 03:53 PM

I did this for all of last year and until earlier this year and it was never a problem. But now they say you cannot run multiple copies even though you may be only one user. So this this the crux of my problem. And I am beginning to realize that I am going to change to another date vendor. This is a shame because I like the QCharts software. Does not have too many bad bugs (but the ones it has, they don't correct them, despite my feedbacks during their Beta test runs). It seems to me that ever since Lycos took over Quote.com things have been heading South big time.

So its back to square one again. In search of the data vendor (one that gives clean data, has flexible features and allows multiple viewing). There is no peace, alas.

ST

I am running two copies, one for each of my screens, and Qcharts data feed has been ok the last two weeks.(My fingers are crossed)

Elongating the frame into the next screen, is another way mentioned previously.

Jeffrey

#16     May 14, 2001
  7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey

This takes a lot of memory.

Jeffrey

#17     May 14, 2001