Qatar, 60 minutes piece.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cgroupman, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

It means we protect their wealth. And when one is in the "business" of protecting oil, people die. People are sanctioned. People are starved. Yes, the business of protecting oil is anything but peaceful. Just because we do all the dirty work doesn't mean Qatar is this peace loving country singing kumbya. LOL.

#11     Jan 16, 2012
  2. I was born and raised in Qatar. My Father moved to Qatar in the late 50s when there wasn't a single road in the whole country. At the time, the total population was illiterate and they recruited, through UNRWA, thousands of Palestinian teachers to build their educational system.

Presently, the total Qatari population, and I am including Al Mannaey, AL Kawarey, Al Mesned, Al Khater, Al Kebasey, Al Sadah, and Al Kaybaan families' members do not exceed 40-50 Thousands top whereby most of them live outside of Doha in Wakrah, Dukhan, Hamlah, Shamaal and Al Khour.

#12     Jan 16, 2012
  3. Nice turn-around in a pretty short period of time. Have you been back recently? Are you eligible for their services? I'm not sure how all that works.

c

#13     Jan 16, 2012
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Qatar is a pretty nice country actually. Sort of the switzerland of the region diplomatically and economically.

Glad to see them get some of that oil revenue. They've been reasonable towards the west and seem to give westerners a chance provided their laws and traditions are respected.

Curious about what you think about Dubai.

#14     Jan 16, 2012
  5. I haven't been back since 2001. When I lived there, everything was practically covered due to the fact that my parents were part of the education department. During my living there, and this is not a joke, they covered our education, including university education in any international university for anyone who scored more than 70% in his high school final mark, medical coverage (From A-Z), free rent, free utilities, furniture allowance every five years to re-furnish your house, car allowance to buy a new car every ten years, Yearend bonus that was massive, huge salary, social clubs with things that I haven't seen in some of the best privet clubs in the US.

I remember I once asked my father if there was anything he spends any money on; his answer was phone bill and food!

Two drawback though, weather and boredom but after a while, you get used to both.

#15     Jan 17, 2012