Q for Grob109

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BA_Trader, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. BA: In general, I think one idea I've gotten from Jack's postings is to take the 'iterative refinement' approach to all of the processes (as opposed to product) of one's life. I had a minor 'AHA' when I noticed that my EQ issues (both trading related and not) could be easily mapped when viewed as sequences instead of 'statefulness' and remapped to something more productive.

HTH,
    laziz

#11     Jun 6, 2004
  2. Exactly! I've had similar sorts of revelations -- the more I
    understand what Jack is saying the more these things seem to
    be happening. It's powerful - life altering stuff. That's why I'm
    curious about who/what influenced Jack.

Just this weekend I was thinking about his "1000 day life
    segment" concept... a phrase he simply happened to mention
    in a post. After some thinking - I was totally blown away by
    this concept. If you "get" modus and chunking and operating
    points -- you'll get it too.

JT

#12     Jun 6, 2004
  3. u know this thread is about jack from the subject. you obviously don't care for jack or what he has to say--you've made that apparent. why do u need to continuously attack him and f up threads related to him? avoid jack and threads related to him if u don't like it. all ur doing is ruining it for people who do find him interesting.

i expect some crap reply from u.. i won't be replying.

#13     Jun 6, 2004
  4. Tend to thine own garden, young iconoclast, and poach not the deer from the forest preserves of the princes thy betters. For at this location

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=515004#post515004

hast thy knavely character been most accurately captured in these words:

"Case Study Number One. This person, to whom we shall assign the totally anonymous case name "Rupert Reptile", is best characterized by his utter irrelevancy to the rubric of this site, namely trading. Fully 90% of his postings are in the irredeemable and irremediable threads of the Chit-Chat forum. Most pertain to sexual subjects, oft times perverse ones. Those few postings which appear in mock-serious threads evidence no trading acumen and offer no trading advice. Rather our "Rupert" is totally self absorbed, virtually all of his posts beginning with "I", the usage of that personal pronoun exceeding that of other pronouns by at least a factor of five.

Curiously, the "I" is never capitalized, leading one to three non-mutually-inconsistent hypotheses. Firstly, that he thinks little of himself. Secondly, that he is "undercapitalized". And thirdly that he suffers from an inferiority complex with regard to that one little "eye" he as a professed male presumably possesses.

He lacks discipline, as he cannot even compose complete sentences, capitalize them, or punctuate them. He expects others to read his mind, imagining that they can find meaning in banalities such a "lol", "lmao", and "rofl".

He confesses to some impulsivity in trading, and apparently suffers some embarrassment from it, although he is compelled to confess it. This combination of sexual obsession, lack of discipline, impulsivity, shame, and inability to contain excitement leads ineluctantly to the conclusion that he is probably a chronic masturbator."

All that you do is foreseen, foretold, foreskinned.

#14     Jun 6, 2004
  5. Sorry my box was at 100%. I did a back up and a delete so now it has room in it.

#15     Jun 6, 2004
  6. I would be glad to respond soon.

I just read the thread and found out my pm thing was full.

#16     Jun 6, 2004
  7. BRAVO!

Hypostomus...

#17     Jun 6, 2004
  8. Gee, kiwi, I am not a big fan of Jack either, except that I don't care about his rants anymore. I did spent some time trying to understand his stuff, but he tends to speak in oracles that ultimately lead to even more oracles. Too tough for me, I just prefer simplicity.

But I must agree with you in some other respects, namely that the ratio of substance to words among the leading (in terms of the number of posts) ET posters is probably as low as what you can find in Jack's writings, so I really don't understand why they attack him. Well, perhaps because he painfully reminds them how much they themselves have to say...

#18     Jun 7, 2004
  9. I can't resist sharing my observations.

The person who influenced Jack the most may have been one of his professors who showed him the Wall Street Journal one day, how to read it, and the potential of the market vis a vis the compound interest formula. This was like back in 1957. A lot of what Jack does here is related to this turning point. Three years later he no longer had to take any kind of job/position that he did not necessarily want. As such, Jack has developed a Nobelese Oblige kind of attitude as he does what he wants.

The math influencing his trading is primarily Boolean, and some calculus. Having worked with bi-stable multi vibrators and 12ax7 tubes for Boolean decision-making, he became accustomed to this method of calculating, and applied it to the market. The 12ax7 tube is still highly valued by guitar players today, especially the "new old stock" left over from pre-mid-sixties. Same with Jack.

Edwards and Magee Technical Analysis from A to Z influenced his outlook on charts early on. Flags and pennants for example, are terms/patterns pointed out in this very classic book still in reprint.

I'm betting he has heard of Napoleon Hill, probably worked with Ronald Reagan, and for sure Neuro Linguistic Programming dominates his vocabulary/thought process. He chooses words fairly carefully as they all have effects on outcomes toward success.

More recently, William O’Neil, founder of IBD, is at least appreciated for what he specializes in, if not an influence.

Jack began charting before computers by hand plotting data from the WSJ onto velum paper. He used the telephone as his order placing tool, and only recently in the past couple years switched to digital Internet through IB TWS. He first mastered equities and began applying similar techniques to futures I believe sometime in the past 7 years beginning with the Dow futures. He has since migrated with everyone else to the more liquid ES, as his methods have been evolving as well. He comes up with tools and techniques all the time, like the depth of market pairs and smart money concepts.

Jack is still smart enough to insult you without you even knowing it, and even be glad he did. So watch out. Jack leverages detractors and sandbaggers eventually to his advantage, and perhaps theirs as well. For the rest of us, the irratants here are like grains of sand which are transformed into pearls. But his favorite activity is helping serious newbies, who are asking the right questions and working to improve, find a profitable path as did his college professor back in 1957.

Maybe this will save Jack some typing.

JohnnyK

#19     Jun 7, 2004
  10. Yes.I'd be interested in any pointers Jack could give to learning techniques.Especially in relation to maths and memory training.

#20     Jun 7, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.