Q charts or eSignal ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Market-do, Jun 23, 2002.

1. That sucks.. I had QQL before, data feed was good.. Esignal's data feed is even a bit better for me.. QCharts was well, missing data, bad data, etc, I sent them a screen shot of the problems.. here is the response I got from Lycos..

#21     Jun 27, 2002
  2. coops

coops

I'm an ex QQl user - was the best interface, ie easiest to configure without any help etc, but no futures so changed to esignal before QQL folded up.... the esignal advanced charts are fine, and reasonably intuitive to use - not as good as QQl but hey... Market-do you should try Nextrend if you want to know how Un-intuitive things can be... yuck.

Tick charts should be moving to the new charting soon, and Ib execution methinks, hope it all works.

coops

#22     Jun 27, 2002
  3. Coops ,

I agree that Nextrends software is not the easiest to use , however they have a reliable feed and offer a lot for the price.
    Once you get use to using Nextrend it is smooth.
    I used them for a few months but went back to E-signal because I got a great offer for a month to month.
    I started out with Q charts 3 years ago , when I made the switch to E-sig I missed Qcharts software for maybe a few days :-]
    I did not miss the crap feed.

Bottom line when ever you switch from a software program that you have used for a while and liked it takes a short time to get used to the new software. Learning curve :-}

#23     Jun 27, 2002
  4. Ok this is the end game. Had QQL, Q charts and eSig. up together again. Q charts screwed up royally--bad data, delays while the status indicator was green--IMPOSSIBLE to trade off--screwy quotes with 20-40 cent variance while the other services were steady. Dumped Q charts--back to the eSignal learning curve-- and ah ha. LIke I said eSignal has way more but the help sucks even more than I thought--mistakes galore. Plus the damn zoom tool is not a zoom tool--should be called a detail tool or select (photoshop term)--no other zoom tool whether its in photoshop, acrobat, or other chart providers works like that--made me rip me hair out as I use zoom all the time. Then I stumbled on the increase/decrease spacing tool--that should be called zoom. Theres a bunch of other unorthodox and hidden or misnamed features that took me forever to figure out. So now I can dupe my QQL set up, not with speed and grace, but once I get it stuck in my gray matter I think it will be an improvement(for me) over QQL. End of story. ESignal wins hands down and I sure in a week I won't miss QQL. Now I should tell you about my trading day--the non trading events--nah, you'd never believe me and it would take pages to describe. take care all.

#24     Jun 28, 2002
  5. Neil

Neil

Does anyone know how the new version of nextrend is going? I used to like that but limitations led me to qcharts and erlangerquote (for my sins).. tired esignal and did not like it too much. I wanted to be able to plot pivots on nextrend and and have sortable columns in quote sheets..

qcharts data is altogether next to useless the past few days.. thinking of having another stab at esignal with their scanner add-ons.. anyone experience of those?

I agree it is hard to get used to another software platform.. qcharts based charts are the best I have found so far.. shame..

Neil

#25     Jun 28, 2002
  6. Neil

Neil

Well I used qcharts/EQ running alongside esignal for the last part of friday and found the same thing.. qcharts is hopeless to trade with sometimes.. esignal feed almost exact in step with IB feed which is my most reliable benchmark data..

Trying to get to grips with esignal charts etc.. is so hard when used to something else (EQ).. which is def superior in features, but getting there slowly and it seems that they are working on ongoing improvements so hopefully formulas in quote boards etc will come along in the end.

Plenty people complain about qcharts lack of response to customers and phil erlanger (EQ) was positvely RUDE to me when trying to express my frustration about the slow qcharts data.. I am a griper it appears! lol So he censors HIS EQ message board.. no posts from me allowed there any more.. jeez I am devastated!

Good customer relations are important I think and esignal wins hands down on that side.. also their yahoo board is active and helpful over the weekend and as I never sleep when trying to sort my software out.. thats good.. :)

Neil

#26     Jun 30, 2002
  7. wild

wild

#27     Jun 30, 2002
  8. Did you know that Ravenquote programmer & eSignal 7 programmer is the same ?

Matt sold Ravenquote to Erlanger and now works at eSignal...So don't worry too much about the features...

I also suffer very much from the lack of decent quotesheets in eSignal but for the rest I am happy

#28     Jun 30, 2002
  9. Neil

Neil

Thanks GS.. yes I knew that.. hopefully this will mean rapid improvements to the quote boards and other matters..

I am very impressed with the data feed compared to qcharts I must say.. I was running it today alongside my IB and it was almost perfect tick by tick.. no more having to decide who is 10c ahead of the other.. is the freakin price going UP or DOWN!! Very unsettling to trading!

I am sure that esignal will manage to annoy me at some point.. (I am very hard to please!).. but they certainly do try, the best customer service I have ever encountered.. and for that I wish them well.. it seems to be a dying art these days..

Neil

#29     Jul 1, 2002
  10. Just reading some stuff here, and see some people are having problem with bad data in QLink (the *unsupported* QCharts DDE program to get quotes into Excel). I can easily reproduce the problem, and believe the fix is rather easy.

If you have QLink getting the same quote twice, it will hose up. I just built a page in my workbook that has all price data on one page, then when on other pages i need that quote, rather than another connection, just ref from the cell on the price-data page.

no problems anymore (at least for me)

hope this helps

#30     Aug 20, 2002