Q: adjusting market neutral ratio spreads when underlying moves

Discussion in 'Options' started by damir00, Jun 1, 2004.

1. damir00

damir00 Guest

if i start with both bull and bear 2:1 ratio spreads - short positions striked ATM - and the underlying moves to either wing strike - is there any reason not to cash out the profitable short and reestablish it at the wing strike? if the underlying moves far enough, one of the shorts will go to zero, so i'm assuming covering early is a theoretically intelligent thing to do, just wondering if anyone has guidelines on how soon to make the adjustment.

2. Vixpills

Vixpills

if i start with both bull and bear 2:1 ratio spreads - short positions striked ATM - and the underlying moves to either wing strike - is there any reason not to cash out the profitable short and reestablish it at the wing strike? if the underlying moves far enough, one of the shorts will go to zero, so i'm assuming covering early is a theoretically intelligent thing to do, just wondering if anyone has guidelines on how soon to make the adjustment.

If I understand correctly it's like selling a strangle and purchasing 2 strangles: a Wrangle?
    example: underlying at 35
    buy 2 put 30
    sell 1 put 35
    sell 1 call 35
    buy 2 call 40

would that be a good example of your strategy?
    and if it moves say to 40
    you purchase back your put 35 at a profit and then sell a put 40. Is it what you are talking about?
    you'd end up with
    long 2 put 30
    short 1 call 35
    short 1 put 40
    long 2 call 40
    is that it?

3. damir00

damir00 Guest

that's exactly it. the assumption is the short is being covered at signficant profit and a fresh short taken on at the higher strike.

if the underlying stalls, it's a good move. if it goes up, it's a good move. if it drops, i'm short a put from a higher level - that's not so good. and it has further to go to get to the lower wing. but if i cover and don't reshort: underlying goes up, it's neutral. if it goes down, it's a good move. if it stays flat, also neutral.

i think covering is a good idea but reshorting at the higher strike is not such a good idea. i'm not used to visualizing these things, which is why i'm building my own options analyzer.

4. Vixpills

Vixpills

I ran a simulation and actually if you dont reshort you're theta exposed, and if it doesnt move you'll lose time value. Of course the furthest the expiration, the lesser the theta but also the lesser your gamma. In absolute value they move together.
    If you reshort as long as it doesnt come back down to 32-33 you're ok.. lower than that you'll lose money. I simulated with 30 days options

5. Stating the obvious; this is a wrangle, guys... as such, it suffers from convergence-risk(gamma hole) at the long strikes.

6. Vixpills

Vixpills

just discussing, even the obvious might ensue on something more interesting

7. damir00

damir00 Guest

the assumption is that convergence on the long strike is an acceptable risk.