Python Programmers

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by WallstYouth, Apr 11, 2006.

1. telle

telle

Yes, profitpy uses IbPy. ProfitPy requires pyqwt which I need to compile under Debian.

ProfitPy is nice and I am using it. The problem of it is that it does not has some knowledge about the past historical data. Are you using IbPy to acquire historical data and make use of those data? You can probably contribute to profitpy.

Troy is doing some update on profitpy, but apparently he is more busy with other stuff...

Right now I am trying to implement an effect intraday strategy.

#11     May 21, 2006
  2. Qt (pyQt) widgets blow all the gui frameworks away,imo. wxWidgets (wxPython) is also very popular with a really nice python interface, but unfortunately it is based on GTK when using linux. GTK is very much widespread, but their widgets remind me of java which I can't stand. Tcl/Tk sucks because it's way outdated and reminds me of x-based widgets.

#12     May 21, 2006
  3. Ah but that's very much a part of the beauty of Python. Python makes it VERY easy to both extend and embed (ie: C/C++ in python OR python in C/C++). It is also extremely easy to use something like Pyrex to have your slightly modified python code be compiled to C and then linked to your main python application. Also see Psyco for a a python JIT compiler. Also See: Swig, Weave, and the others that are available... there's more.

I've just returned to Python from learning and working soley in C, and I can't wait to apply python's ease of use to my new knowledge.

kt

#13     May 21, 2006
  4. With all due respect to Java lovers, I can't understand why it's so popular. I think it sucks real bad. That's my personal opinion though.

#14     May 21, 2006
  5. Troy has done a really nice job of using python optimally. I've been using IbPy for quite some time now. I haven't used ProfitPy because it was easy enough to build my own "and have it my way".

If you want to build your own gui trading interface, take a look at RAD GUI frameworks like wxGlade, Boa Constructor (wxPython) Or Qt Designer for Qt. Naturally there are others.

Then look at matplotlib for your graphs and charting. And If you want to know more about other Python library's useful for trading, Search ET, or ask me and I'll point you to the many.

#15     May 21, 2006
  6. If anybody is just starting to learn Python or wants to learn "C", I am available for asking remedial to intermediate questions. I'm not a qualified expert... yet. ;-)

#16     May 21, 2006
  7. rosy

rosy

i use python along with the quantlib API and the spread queue toolkit for realtime signals and pricing. No problems yet.

#17     May 21, 2006
  8. Yeah, quantlib is a very nice lib for traders.

Also for testing, Simpy is for disctrete time simulation models. Haven't been to the site recently at all, but I think it's still active.

#18     May 21, 2006
  9. telle

telle

Yeah, thanks. If I can freely use Qt that would be good. But building one with "my way" may take me more time than I can actually afford. Anyway I will be learning with all my spare time.

I made some modification to profitpy and am ready for some serious strategy development and testing.

had been using matplotlib in some of different cases. I also find there's a project "iTrade" actually use matplotlib. I am ok with the plotting I got from profitpy right now.

What's the thing you mentioned as "C" work? you mean some code written in C but glued to python?

#19     May 21, 2006
  10. telle

telle

I could not make sense of this quantlib. It is very academic to me.

#20     May 21, 2006