Pyramiding: Playing with the market’s money

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by vivaskyliska, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Sprout

Sprout

100 traders would operate on different timeframes.

A weekly view of an uptrend can have multiple countertrend days.

A countertrend day can be the start of a change in Dominance of the prior multi-day/weekly/monthly trend.

A change in Dominance in this countertrend day is first revealed on a 5min chart.

On a 5min chart, Dominance changes frequently in 3-5 bar combinations.

Since Dominance changes frequently on 5min charts, not every change in Dominance is the start of a trend that is seen on larger aggregations of time.

However the changes that ripple up through aggregations of time are seen on multi- timeframes as turns with coarser more filtered views occurring at one end of the observed spectrum and finer more detailed views at the other.

Like tuning into a radio station, any group of traders are attracted to ‘genres’ of music/talkshows that most resonates with their personality, temperament, resources, goals and lifestyle.

Although listening to multiple music stations at once can sound like noise, the cacophony can also sound like music to a trained and appreciative ear.

#21     Jan 20, 2018
  2. Playing with the so-called "house's money" is a gambling and reckless mentality.

There's no such thing as the house's money. It's Your money, now. And you rightfully earned and deserved it. You risked your life for it, so to speak. It was you against the market at that duel moment.

No one can offer you concrete, good trading advice. -- Everything is ultimately your call, at that given moment in time.
    ...The market after all is part art, part science to trade...especially given the shorter the time frame you're looking at.

If you want to bet all in...then do it, I won't necessarily criticize you. If you want to bet 1% of your account, then do that.

To be a good trader, you have to be collectively wise about different facets of life.
    Trading is like prison...it changes some men to form a different or multiple perspectives. -- While some men leave prison the same broken square inspite of all that given time spent and observed.

Make Trading Great Again 2018...High-Five` :confused:
    I'm shopping for a new laptop on eBay. I'm currently using an 8 year old Thinkpad laptop.
    I just drank a full pot of coffee and ate a cake the size of a kitten. Talk about support/resistance levels.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    #22     Jan 20, 2018
    Robert Morse likes this.
  3. Xela

Xela

Neither would I, of course.

I don't let the outcomes of previous trades determine my stakes for future trades - there's no logic to that philosophy at all, for me.

But sometimes my technical analysis parameters will dictate re-entry into a still-running trade (and those tend to be my best-performing trades, by definition, otherwise the opportunity wouldn't arise while they were still running), so in that sense they're "separate trades". It's a slightly semantic point, perhaps.

"I have my edge and I exert it as often as qualifying opportunities to exert it arise" is how I look at it.

We disagree much less than I'd at first imagined, on reading your post above, anyway.

Thanks, Bob.

I don't think so, necessarily: because all trends come to an end at some point? Isn't that more to do with the strength and/or momentum of the trend than its duration?

#23     Jan 20, 2018
    lcranston likes this.
  4. Simple story. Just let both camp look at the Dow Jones indices from yesterday using same chart, let say daily chart.

Trend Trader - Long. Buy High Sell Low.Win rate < 50% but with good risk/reward
    Countertrend Traders - Short. Sell High Buy Low. Win rate > 50% but with bad risk/reward

Most of the ET traders are counter trend traders (and mostly are losers) in which I don't understand why they prefer this strategy. Most institutional traders are trend following.

#24     Jan 20, 2018
  5. Bobbybax

Bobbybax

I can only surmise that there are very few scalpers on this board. I once cut my size by a factor of thirty for a week after a bad loss. Conversely, I'll size up when things are going well and I'm in the zone.

If you are always trading the same size without taking into account your performance or market conditions means you are either giving away money or not exploiting an advantageous setup.

#25     Jan 20, 2018
  6. comagnum

comagnum

Novice traders will leverage their principal to the teeth.

Smarter traders leverage only their profitable position(s) - never their principal.

#26     Jan 20, 2018
    tomorton and Xela like this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

Good points mate.

I can only ask (again), who has made the money out of the US stock indices' trend since 2009, the trend-followers or the reversal chasers?

#27     Jan 20, 2018
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Intuitively what the other folks said make sense to me. As uncle Buffett said: When you see a fat pitch, you don't bunt.

Keep adding, when you are in a "cannot lose" situation, seem the correct thing to do? Worst that can happen is you get stop out somewhere along the line with profits, then you call it a day.

What am I missing?

#28     Jan 20, 2018
  9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Buffett is not a trader, he is a long term investor. He buys blocks of stock over time and is happy in the short run when that stock goes down because he gets to buy his next block at lower prices.

#29     Jan 20, 2018
  10. Overnight

Overnight

You're missing the fact that as you scale in or out, every move for or against you moves in that exponential fashion. Your $10 per tick move become $20 or $30. Or $50. As you scale in/average down each per-tick move becomes more prevalent. It is rough to experience. Don't do it unless you are well-heeled.

#30     Jan 20, 2018