Pyramiding into a trend

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by ElectricSavant, Dec 14, 2004.

1. forex_king

forex_king Global Futures Exchange <br>& Trading Company

I personally pyramid position, I won't say how many levels....but after backtesting I can safely say that the number of levels being pyramided has greatly lessened over the years...but I still pyramid, and I have created my own trading system that uses a pyramiding method that fits my personality....but I can say pyramiding does work for me...

#41     Dec 14, 2004
  2. forex_king

Maverick,

Successful trend followers in general are more wrong than right on their entries, what matters most in the end is their risk and moneyment strategies....

#42     Dec 14, 2004
  3. Maverick1

Maverick1

Agreed. It takes time and a lot of hard work to build a plan and then to learn how to follow it to develop the second nature kind of confidence that takes you to a totally new level. Learning where to place the stop, in and of itself is hard enough, now when you add the challenge of balancing wins and losses, drawdown, avg size of winners vs avg size of losers, etc etc, it gets real interesting to say the least.

#43     Dec 14, 2004
  4. No worries, we can wait, patiently. :D

#44     Dec 14, 2004
  5. forex_king

Very true, that's why trend followers are very few and far between....that must explain why their account is up at the end of the year :)

But you are absolutely right about the second nature - and that is the Psychology aspect....being in tune with yourself....

We can't turn a gambling addict into a fund manager over night....and you are right it takes time and sometimes that time can span into years.....

#45     Dec 14, 2004
  6. Perhaps we need to separate/ distinguish a pyramiding (based upon any incremental and reasonable growth of capital curve) over a trend on top of the initial position, against a scaling-in/out to build up an initial position (without much growth of capital curve), based on our trading plan.

:confused:

#46     Dec 14, 2004
  7. jbt

jbt

It sounds like everyone has different idea of what pyramiding is. In the sumplest terms is adding to your initial position in hopes of maximizing the continuation in price a good idea or bad one?

Ans. it depends :) lol

#47     Dec 14, 2004
  8. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Look, if you buy additional shares (contracts) you make your average price worse. Therefore, you reduce your chances to lock the profits unless the security you are trading keeps on going in the same direction. The longer you are in the trend the greater is a chance of the trend's reversal. So, when it does reverse you might not have time to lock the profits and you might loose as your average price might be close to the current price of a security.

#48     Dec 14, 2004
  9. forex_king

How much do you put at risk?

10%
    5%
    3%
    2.5%

How much do you put at risk on each pyramided position? Because this is the most important part of the trending process....

....Never risk more than you can afford.....I've heard this many times...but I guess it's a matter of doing.

#49     Dec 14, 2004
  10. I would believe there are highly likely some mathematical/ statistical solutions that could reduce the uncertainty and degree of "It depends". :confused:

#50     Dec 14, 2004