Pyramiding into a trend

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by ElectricSavant, Dec 14, 2004.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Why would I want to do that since you've already started making cracks? It's not worth the hassle.

If you want to know how I pyramid, look it up.

#11     Dec 14, 2004
  2. Db you are truly cheating ET and the readers of this thread of your knowledge. I am sorry and we are the losers (you and I)

Michael B.

#12     Dec 14, 2004
  3. Well, I am sorry to hear about your conflict with the administrator of this site, but hey you are still here.

This bold statement you are making shows me the confidence that you have on the varioius ways to pyramid. I think there is a wide spectrum of interpretation that would make backtesting impossible for all scenario's

Michael B.

#13     Dec 14, 2004
  4. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

We have a staff scientist in our company that was assigned to this task. He used quite sophisticated tools and spent about half a year testing diff. pyramiding strategies. We needed it for our own fund. His recommendations were:

1. Do not pyramid
    2. Do not average.

#14     Dec 14, 2004
  5. I saw your deleted post db...I simply was telling you about my habits. Haven't you and I previously discussed this? I thought you became frustrated and had to delete your post after my edit. At our age it is sometimes difficult to remember at times...:)

Michael B.

#15     Dec 14, 2004
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Whatever.

#16     Dec 14, 2004
  7. jbt

jbt

M - did he test parabolic averaging?
    1, 2,4,8 etc?

#17     Dec 14, 2004
  8. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

I'm not sure, let me ask him.

#18     Dec 14, 2004
  9. Maverick1

Maverick1

Success with pyramiding is conditional on the entry system

Saying that pyramiding doesn't work without defining the entry system against which the pyramiding was tested doesn't seem to be a sound proposition, logically speaking

#19     Dec 14, 2004
  10. Without revealing what was shared with me in a PM, as I have no right to claim these are my thoughts.

BUT....

trend must be identified in stages...I knew this. But it has been shared with me that it is a tradable valid methodology to use different methods for different stages (the chameleon comment).

Now lets not talk too much about Elliot Waves...but I see a connection.

Michael B.

#20     Dec 14, 2004