PVAC

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by gaussian, Nov 9, 2019.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

That's a very good point actually.
    A damn good rabbit.
    Let me think about that.

#21     Nov 14, 2019
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

That should have read "rabbit hole" lol. Anyway, I thought about what you're trying to accomplish and one thing you can do, and certainly should do if you take a long term position in a company like this is use the RSS feed on EDGAR. I mean not only will that alert you immediately to any SEC filings in general, but you'll also see the the 13-G's when they hit too. Granted they basically only flag big moves (the 13-G filings)... controlling 5% or more... but say in this case a fund owns 500K shares and they see something they like about the company and pick up another 250K shares.... that'll require a 13-G to be filed. (750K is 5% of PVAC shares)
    A 5% or greater owner also has to file when they drop below 5%, so you can see when a major player starts lightening up their position.

The 13-D form is similar but its also noteworthy in that its filed when there's some kind of intent to do something within the structure of the company. Like a hostile takeover or a move on the Board makeup or something.
    Once one of these forms is filed, any change greater than 1% must have an amendment filed. So that will flag too on your RSS feed.

Anyway... if I think of anything else I'll let ya know.
    Here's all PVAC's filings. You can read the 13-G's and see who the big players are.
    https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?action=getcompany&CIK=0000077159&owner=include&count=40

#22     Nov 15, 2019
    gaussian likes this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Up over 30% now.
    S&P up 4.5% for the same period.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    #23     Jan 31, 2020
  4. gaussian

gaussian

Meanwhile PVAC has been the worst trade in my portfolio - who could've foreseen the nearly meteoric drop in oil prices though. I will be reviewing the trade and seeing what I could've done better.

#24     Jan 31, 2020
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

#25     Jan 31, 2020
  6. gaussian

gaussian

oh yeah, not worried about it. It was a very small chunk of my overall portfolio. I've been adapting some of Joel Greenblatt's ideas on value/growth investing recently. Best thing you can do is read a little and apply alot.

#26     Jan 31, 2020