Puzzled by IB's commissions

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Bob111, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Bob111

Bob111

got into this crapper and trying to close position manually
    both trade occurred at EXACT same circumstances,but commissions are dramatically different. same exchange,same conditions- the bid was 3.1 and every time i place an order to sell at 3.11-i hit someone's hidden order at 3.11. exact same conditions.
    can anyone from IB enlighten me,how exactly you come up with such commissions and how exactly they are calculated?
    i won't be rising this question,if anything is different between executions.but they both exactly same. only difference is amount of shares.

Thank you

2. jsmith

jsmith

I've also noticed the commissions are cheaper when I provide liquidity.

My guess.
    The first, you took liquidity on bid.
    The second, you provided liquidity on ask.

3. Bob111

Bob111

i'm not sure what i've provided here. as i said above-exactly same thing happens in both executions-bid 3.1- i placed LIMIT order to sell at 3.11(ask at that time was something like 3.14-3.13.)
    in both cases my order was immediately executed, as i hit someone's hidden order at 3.11. at least it looks\feels that way in TWS. T&S showing same thing. no one stepped forward and raised a bid. at least - i didn't see it and it wasn't in T&S. that's why i'm asking for an explanation from IB. how i can take the liquidity in first case and providing in second? anyone?

i would understand that i'm providing liquidity ,if my second order was sitting for a second or at least displayed as best ask at that time in T&S BEFORE it was executed. then-yes.

4. elite74

elite74

First, 200 shares will have a lower commission than 125 shares if you are providing liquidity, and I think that is what happened. (ie. one time you removed liquidity, and the other time you added liquidity, that was instantly filled).

However, this can be checked on your daily statement, if you choose "customize statements" and then click the checkbox of "unbundled commission details".

5. Bob111

Bob111

i'll do that. Thank you!