Putting Win XP on a mac solely for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by milktruck, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Apparently there are very few platforms in forex that will work with my mac.

Does anybody know how much space on my hard drive I need to partition to windows to use a forex platform or two, plus maybe a web browser and instant message?

Im sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a dumb person when it comes to this.

2. i use the Thinkorswim platform for fx on my mac.

I also run xp via parallels. I partitioned 20gb for my xp side and run trading platforms via parallels .

3. wkoop

wkoop

Do you have Bootcamp? I believe bootcamp automatically allocates the space needed. Typical virtual machines (which is what XP would run in) would need about 3GB of disk space. Memory (RAM) matters too.

4. yeah I have bootcamp, I just dont know how much space to partition.

5. auspiv

auspiv

look to nliteos.com. it's a program that removes unnecessary junk from windows xp, so you can shrink the size to around 300mb. 200mb is even possible if you really know your stuff.

and to answer your question, i'd say 5gb would be enough to suit your needs. you'd have to disable hibernation though (which im not sure if it works anyways). also, you could just make 3 partitions say: your main mac one, 5gb xp one, and then another 5gb one for future expansion. if you need it for xp, no problem, just combine the two. same goes for osx.

6. rickf

rickf

Have a 24" iMac with 4GB RAM.

Run a VMWare XP image with 2GB RAM assigned to it and gave it a 10GB "hard drive" machine -- that said, the only thing running inside is my OEC Trader.

I could prolly do w/less RAM but XP runs just fine on my Mac.....can leave the VM open and running while I do other stuff on the Mac side. No worries, performance is fine.