Putting the pieces together... attention JHM! ;-)

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by frenchfry, Aug 20, 2012.

1. My humor in unintentional. So it must be topical.

Since I neither chart nor trade ES (NQ is my vice), can you tell me please what today's ES range is so far? Points or ticks, machts nichts (don't try saying that).

#11     Aug 20, 2012
  2. xioxxio

xioxxio

frenchfry, please could you define the columns. Thanks

#12     Aug 20, 2012
  3. I think it was 5.5 points so far.

#13     Aug 20, 2012
  4. #14     Aug 20, 2012
  5. Very good! You noticed that I asked you a quantitative question, not a qualitative one. Always ask your self quantitative questions. Certain methods other than mine do not.

Now, do you consider that 5.5 point range to be a wide range or a narrow range for ES? Kindly excuse the qualitative-seeming question, as I am sure that you have your own quantitative definition of wide or narrow range for ES.

#15     Aug 20, 2012
  6. To be honest I din't pay attention, yet to see if this is a narrow or wide range day. But from what I see I would put it in the narrow range category.

#16     Aug 20, 2012
  7. Very good. I also would call that a narrow range. May I suggest that you periodically ask yourself "Is today's range expanding?"? Given all the generous spare time that watching a five minute chart grants you, that should be no cognitive burden.

Now, do you have a daily chart of ES somewhere on your screen, that is, a chart of recent days' OHLCs or candlesticks?

Also, please, slip me a little neutral autobiographical information, since "All trading is autobiography." Starting with what your real-world skill is, that is, your gainful employment.

#17     Aug 20, 2012
  8. Here is one...

#18     Aug 20, 2012
  9. Train other people. :D

#19     Aug 20, 2012
  10. That is excellent! Why do I begin to think that you are sandbagging me?

Now, looking at that chart over the past week or two, depending on the time period you would use to measure a daily trend, would you say the ES daily trend was up or down? I know these are not hard questions, but simple questions asked in the proper order often reveal complexity.

#20     Aug 20, 2012