Putnam, Citigroup, UBS Unshaken by Global Rout, Say Buy Stocks

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by SethArb, Mar 5, 2007.

1. S2007S

S2007S

This just baffles the hell out of me, not EVEN A FULL WEEK INTO A SELL OFF and they are saying BUY BUY BUY.

This sentence makes me want to cover my shorts tomorrow:

Since 1962, the S&P 500 had a median gain of 7.5 percent in the 60 trading days that followed a one-day drop of 3 percent or more, according to New York-based Citigroup,

Anyway....

Please bring on the 10% + correction just to prove these talking heads wrong.

`We're Buyers'

A group of 15 strategists surveyed by Bloomberg all expect U.S. stocks to advance this year, with an average year-end or 12- month prediction of 1549 for the S&P 500. The index ended last week at 1387.17.

The last time all the firms tracked agreed that U.S. stocks would post a full-year rally was for 2001. The S&P 500 dropped 13 percent that year.

``We're buyers,'' Levkovich, Citigroup's chief U.S. equity strategist, said in an interview from New York. ``Nothing's changed. We'd be taking advantage of this.''

Since 1962, the S&P 500 had a median gain of 7.5 percent in the 60 trading days that followed a one-day drop of 3 percent or more, according to New York-based Citigroup, the biggest U.S. financial-services company. Investors should be ``aggressive buyers'' of retailers, telecommunications companies and semiconductor makers, Levkovich wrote. He expects the S&P 500 to surge 15 percent from last week's close by the end of this year.

2. They are trading based on a different strategy than you.

3. The fact they announce this so loudly is proof positive they will be huge sellers into any rally.

4. duard

duard

I also have the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

Too much PR from organized C.R.I.M.E. "Commercial and Retail Investment Market Experts"

I doubt at this point we're looking at a V-bottom therefore I'll wait for a solid double bottom.