Pushing Yourself To Work Harder

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Money Trust, Apr 6, 2013.

1. cornix

cornix

Over time I realized that working smarter is much more important than working harder... :)

#41     May 23, 2013
  2. Yes. But one first need to work very hard at the start, then the smart part can come later on. There is no shortcuts in trading - unfortunately for most - but fortunately for those who really want to make it work.

#42     May 24, 2013
  3. cornix

cornix

True, no shortcuts. But I myself fell in the trap of burning out cause of too hard work. Result was negative, not positive.

Only when I realized that trading is about peak performance (absolute focus, patience, discipline et cetera) I changed my approach towards quality over quantity of work.

I stopped trying to catch every move within 24H session and switched to regime which is more typical for professional chess players: a lot of sleep, regular and high quality diet, regular moderate work outs etc.

In other words: everything to be in absolutely the best mental and physical condition when trading session starts.

Many people seriously under-estimate the effect that may have on their trading.

Also, it makes sense to only trade when there is something market likely offers. Stupid to sit through Asian trading session watching ES as an extreme sample.

This combination of being well prepared for a game and choosing the right game works the best IMO.

#43     May 24, 2013
  4. I think I've figured out my issue. I had to actually sit back and analyze the entire situation, which I should have done before creating this thread.

Here's the deal: I'm getting the results I want, so far. I'm profitable and I have a system that is working for me. My thought process at the time was that if I could put more work into the markets, I could get greater returns. But I now see that such thinking doesn't make sense and could actually cloud judgment.

Currently, I'll spend 30 minutes to an hour getting the latest news from around the world, then I'll spend a couple of hours analyzing charts and looking for specific trade setups that I like. So far, that system has been profitable.

Lesson learned here: if it works, stick with it!

#44     May 26, 2013
  5. Pipflow

Pipflow

We would push ourselves to work harder when our needs are very much important and when we have other's life or future infront of our eyes. Sometimes our loved ones life and future is more important than ours because they are everything for us.

#45     May 31, 2013
  6. pipflow,
    This is a way to motivate oneself.
    However, having spent some time discussing with people who have "lived", it is not good to "sacrifice one life" ( the disasters such as one old guy killing his old partner as he realised he wasted his life instead of going for what he really wanted.... ). Life should be celebrated and enjoyed. One has just one life for a reason. For an example of celebration : one guy who used to be soooo lazy that for 15 years he did not work, but played sports regularly while being registered as unfit to work. Then he met THE one, and is now happily clocking in 2 jobs full-time for his new wife and their 3 children. For him, none is a sacrifice : it is a celebration of his life. He exudes so much happiness - even after a hard day of work- that when he talks, there is no saddness or regrets : he is living his best life. His life is even more important to him than his loved one ! So cheer up! :)

#46     Jun 1, 2013
  7. Humpy

Humpy

The above is all interesting stuff. However I would like to put an alternative perspective that some will like, others rather do it all by themselves. Good for them but most of us lack the talent etc. So -

Centuries ago there was the same problem. How did they solve it ?
    Long before computers etc. there were also valued occupations. Take art for instance. Individuals would make a reputation as a skilled artist. Youngsters within 50 miles who were interested in making art a profession would visit this man and try and sign on as an apprentice. From this position he would learn the trade. This is a quick route to financial trading too. Learn from others. Not many people want to start their engineering course by re-inventing the wheel. There just isn't enough time.
    So ask around and find that special person who teaches the style you like. Take out 2 years to know what he knows and maybe even advance his methods at the same time.
    I look back at the many years I have been around trading and have to admit that I could teach all the useful bits I have found out in a matter of days.
    OK if you are a loner and want to try on your own but think carefully about how long and costly it might be.

#47     Jun 1, 2013
  8. very good advice : 2 years to work on ONE style.
    I think one problem is jumping from method to method.
    ... all methods work in the right hands...

#48     Jun 1, 2013
  9. cornix

cornix

I would even say, one signal.

#49     Jun 1, 2013
  10. it is about focussing long enough on one method.

#50     Jun 2, 2013