Pushing It

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bronks, Nov 2, 2003.

1. When you say "pushing it" how much of an increase are you talking about?

#11     Nov 2, 2003
  2. You push yourself? You are doing it yourself what "they" want to do to you? "They" must be very pleased by having more like you around.

#12     Nov 2, 2003
  3. i went through this last year... had a great streak, decided to push it just as the streak ended -- it makes sense, really: if you push it when you feel sure, it's probably too late; just like taking a trade when you're sure -- it's probably too late.

#13     Nov 2, 2003
  4. bronks

bronks

Easy--

I have no gumption about about taking on 5 ES mini's with a $5000.00 acct.

I need to clarify this a bit. Whether he knows it or not, Trendfader (Mike) planted a seed in my head about not being able to be successful in daytrading the mini's. Also the legions who say that you need a decent sum of money to survive.

I hate being told what to do.
    And I really hate general statements that are regarded as truth.

$5000.00 is where it stays until I either blow it up or run it to the moon. So far, I've done neither. Been up as much as 30%. Down as much as 50%.

#14     Nov 2, 2003
  5. Bronks,

Going back to your first post you wrote:

"I'm seriously consistent but can't get over the hump." I would say that you are consistently encountering humps. Trading 5 ES mini's with a $5000 account is OK if your drawdown is almost zero (and you get a $1000 margin per contract). What you call a hump is a poor estimation of your expected drawdown. Only backtesting your strategy rigorously can help you IMHO. This is an absolute must given your figures, otherwise it's gambling.

nononsense

#15     Nov 2, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You say "every time". What timeframe are you referring to? The last year? Two years? Six months?

#16     Nov 2, 2003
  7. bronks

bronks

nononsense--

I'm not into backtesting, paper-trading, simulator training, or gambling. I am into trading. :)

#17     Nov 2, 2003
  8. bronks

bronks

Summer before last when I kept my journal. A few months of uninterrupted trading then back to work. Sporadic trades in between.

Uninterrupted now for the past three months.

I hate doing it this way, but I have no choice. I'm older (38) with a family to support.

#18     Nov 2, 2003
  9. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

bronks,
    You are not alone in this.....we have all had the same problem with exceeding the "comfort zone" with trading many contracts. I find most of my losses were due to be uncomfortable with the drawdown and not allowing for the muliple contracts. With 1 contract you have to stand say $100 before saying uncle, with 10 you need to withstand $1000.
    We all hate to lose money.

#19     Nov 2, 2003
  10. Banjo

Banjo