Pure Flat Tax?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by achilles28, Dec 2, 2014.

1. OK, got it. YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT! You call me "Liberal"? I HATE LIBERALISM/LEFTISM, American DemoCraps. Nobody on ET hates Liberals, DemoCraps, Odumbo more than I. You've shown yourself to be completely obtuse. ON IGNORE!!

#51     Dec 4, 2014
  2. loyek590

loyek590

thought I already was. you can't deal with anybody who disagrees, you're the Sergeant Schultz of ET. "I see nothing, I hear nothing"

weak minded liberal
    a true conservative can stand up and fight for what he believes
    that's what I do, and I don't care how many of you weak minded liberals put me ON IGNORE! like it is the ultimate punishment

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    #52     Dec 4, 2014
  3. loyek590

loyek590

you call yourself a conservative, and you want to implement a federal underwear tax, oh, that one cracks me up

#53     Dec 4, 2014
  4. However, if you try to "opt out", the IRS will almost certainly put you in prison to make an example of you and to discourage others from trying the same.

#54     Dec 5, 2014
  5. piezoe

piezoe

The IRS can catch only a small fraction of these tax cheats through audits. There is a large "underground" cash economy estimated at a third of a trillion dollars a year. This comes from small, privately owned businesses not reporting their cash sales, or only reporting a fraction, and from individuals who work for cash that is not reported on a W-2.

Some considerable amount of this underground cash economy involves people who would, in any case, make too little to pay any income tax. But they are also not paying into social security and medicare, which they would otherwise pay into were their pay reported on a W-2. Many of them will, because of intermittent periods of regular employment, have enough quarters paid into social security by the time they reach retirement age to qualify for at least a subsistence S.S. pension, (S.S. pensions are calculated on the 35 highest years of reported earnings. Earning not reported will, of course, not figure into the calculation.) Some of these tax avoiders will end up on public assistance of one kind or another.

#55     Dec 5, 2014
  6. loyek590

loyek590

you want to put me through all that instead of doing the right thing which is eliminating paper money and legalizing drugs

the goldbugs have had a rough time the last couple of years, about time to throw them a bone, we can easily pay for it in counterfeiting alone

Even Africa now pays electronically, but you need a picture of a President on a Paper bill, because "that's the way we always did it" and because of that you are going to put me through sales tax hell

#56     Dec 5, 2014
  7. loyek590

loyek590

I just don't know that you can pay for the government We The People have voted for with a pure flat tax. What you are asking is for the rich to pay less and the poor to pay more. Just to make you feel good because people on food stamps are finally paying taxes? That will teach them, those lazy bums.

The only fair tax is an income tax. I am all for a flat tax if there is a very high exemption, but that flat tax rate, once it kicks in needs to be very high. How high? I could go very high, like 40% if you gave a man his first 70k tax free. Add to that the state tax, and the federal taxes and you are talking about in excess of 50%. That's a lot, and you have to justify when a man gives more than half his income to the government.

#57     Dec 5, 2014
  8. piezoe

piezoe

I don't know who you mean by "you", but I suppose you mean the collective "you" . Certainly you don't mean me. Otherwise you haven't understood anything I have posted.

#58     Dec 5, 2014
  9. loyek590

loyek590

no, I mean the collective "you" certainly not you personally. Just talking about the flat tax, but I would like some explanation of your interest in a consumption tax, due to the fact that normally you seem like a deep thinker, and I can hardly believe that anybody in his right mind would support a federal consumption tax. And I'm a libertarian, and even Gary Johnson who I think ran for President on the libertarian ticket was for it. How can anybody justify taxing someone who has no income? Yes, they are still consuming, but have no income. That is because their bonds and CD's are no longer paying them almost anything. They now must dip into their life savings (which were already taxed), and you want a cut of that? That's why I say, your (and I mean you personally) greed is astounding.

#59     Dec 5, 2014
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Consumption taxes are perhaps more difficult to evade and easier to administer. They can be structured so they are very progressive. A perfectly flat income tax is a bad idea for reasons I have already mentioned. We have currently an income tax that is virtually flat (see the article in "the Economist" that I gave a link to) and not a few economists believe that our flat income tax is a contributor to the transferring of capital from the middle class to the wealthy we have experienced since the 1980s. I personally believe, for a healthy and sustainable economy, it is very important that at least some capital be left with the middle class, particularly the lower middle class!

I am not necessarily opposed to an income tax, but I am very much opposed to a flat tax, for the reasons I have stated elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    #60     Dec 5, 2014