Pure Flat Tax?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by achilles28, Dec 2, 2014.

1. loyek590

loyek590

sales tax, consumption tax? the only fair tax is an income tax. Why do you want to tax me when I am losing money each month? I have no income, zero, and on top of that you want to tax me? I will gladly pay you my fair share of taxes as soon as I go profitable. Until then, just get off my back and give me some breathing room. The only fair tax is an income tax. You make income, you pay taxes. Criminals? we already have the tech to go 100% digital. Another case of my paying even more because you are unwilling to update your tech. Oh yeah, I forgot about "Mark of the Beast". Now I have to pay a sales tax because you won't update your Bible. I'm already paying a sales tax to pay for the one and only thing the federal government is supposed to be doing, namely maintaining Eisenhower's interstate defense highway system through the fuel tax...fair enough, what possible reason do you have now to burden me with yet another sales tax? I'm not even making any money! Your greed is truly astounding.

#41     Dec 4, 2014
  2. And you probably won't. Progressive taxation facilitates the government manipulating the vote.... and they wouldn't give that up without a fight.

#42     Dec 4, 2014
  3. I don't think it's the "only" tax that makes sense.

The best tax policy would be the one which was most broadly based and at the lowest rate. Any attempt at such reform should include a consumption tax... a LOW one, not the abusive VAT they have in Europe.

One study a few years back concluded that a consumption tax would collect ~$200 Billion from tax cheats.... $200 Billion which isn't collected at all today.

#43     Dec 4, 2014
  4. loyek590

loyek590

oh yeah, let's turn every mom and pop who opens a store into a tax collector for the federal government. Much easier than making drugs legal. Two wrongs should eventually make a right. You do something wrong, I will pass two more wrong laws and make it sort of right.

America, the land of the free, where anybody can start a business as long as you collect taxes from your neighbor, especially those involved in activities that we have outlawed.

#44     Dec 4, 2014
  5. loyek590

loyek590

and if you don't collect the taxes properly, we're not going after them, we're coming after you. You and I are now enemies. You are my tax collecting bitch, and I am your master. I don't care about the drug dealers, that is their business, DEA takes care of all that, and they get their cut. I care about you and make sure you give me my cut each day. And don't complain about former loyal customers who no longer shop here because they actually have no income, we are still collecting federal taxes from them whether they have income or not.

#45     Dec 4, 2014
  6. Geez... you're getting to be a pissy little bitch! You're just talking your own book.

Any reasonable flat tax system would allow for lower incomes exemptions on basic items. Easy to do with computers.

For example... you want to buy under ware. There would be a "tax exempt price". That is, let's say, "under ware up to $3/pr" is exempt from the consumption tax. So, you go to Walmart or Target and buy under wear for $2.95/pr. No consumption tax for you. But if you want to buy Hugo Boss for $12/pr at Nordstroms, you pay the tax on the diff between $3 and $12. Same to apply to foodstuffs. Everybody gets the same treatment.

You are an example of "the problem". Nobody cares about what's fair... they only care they they themselves get the best treatment... even if it's at the expense of others.

#46     Dec 4, 2014
  7. loyek590

loyek590

ok, well the underwear tax sounds vey simple
    what was that? $3/pr is exempt
    will there also be a tee shirt tax?
    who will decide what a fair price to start taxing underwear will be?
    we need a new government agency, the underwear taxing agency to decide who should pay consumption taxes on high priced under wear

or, you could just tax me on my income, lot's of income, lot's of taxes
    easy to compute, since no government officials are figuring out how much underwear should cost, and no corporation should be paying taxes

Tax me when I make it, tax when I am paid

or, do it your way, I can probably figure out some underwear scam

#47     Dec 4, 2014
  8. Under a flat tax, you could buy everything you NEED exempt of consumption tax. There would be an exempt amount for all items considered "basics".

You already pay a "consumption tax" at the pump. You bitching about that too? Your car pollutes the atmosphere. It also degrades the roads proportionate to your vehicle and the amount you drive. You saying "it's not fair" that you have to pay for the expense of your driving? If so, SELL YOUR CAR AND STOP DRIVING! Then you won't have to pay the "consumption fuel tax".

#48     Dec 4, 2014
  9. There wouldn't even be that many categories...

$3 under ware
    $2 socks
    $10 shirts
    $20 pants
    Something for coats, hats, sweaters, shoes
    Something for dress clothes (You can buy a new suit for $150 at Men's Warehouse or Joseph A. Banks, you know)
    All non-prepared food at the grocery store, exempt. (You don't have to buy prepared food from deli counter... you don't have to go out to eat, but if you choose to... you pay the consumption tax... but might be an exemption for restaurant tickets under "____x"? But if you choose to go to a high-end restaurant and spend $200/person, you pay the consumption tax.)
    Utilities... 1st "_____x"/mo, consumption tax exempt. But if you live in a big house and have a $1,000/mo electric bill, you pay the consumption tax.
    Used car under "______x" tax exempt.

You get the idea.

One of the reasons we have an income tax is because it can be made "progressive".

Another reason is the government can hold business accountable for collecting for their employees.... it's easy that way.

Still doesn't make it right.

DemoCraps have been selling the notion all along, "something for free (especially, in exchange for your vote)". HOGWASH. NOTHING IS FREE!! Somebody pays for everything... just a matter of who.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    #49     Dec 4, 2014
  10. loyek590

loyek590

oh, here we go, my state has both an income tax and a sales tax. Some states have no income tax but a high property tax. Some states have no sales tax. To each his own. But you want the FEDERAL GOVERMENT to start interfering with the way we tax our own citizens? We live on a balanced budget, unlike your federal government. How bout staying out of our business?

and due to your complete lack of reading comprehension, I will repeat, I already pay a federal fuel tax to pay for the federal interstate defense road system. That's fair. Fair enough. And now you are going to say because I pay one sales tax I should be ok with paying more sales tax? Even an underwear tax? What is it with you liberals? You never saw a dollar I made that you don't think you deserve to tax and spend.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    #50     Dec 4, 2014