Purchasing a server for co location

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mmt, Jul 1, 2014.

1. mmt

mmt

I am looking to purchase a server to co locate at the CME. My minimum spec requirements are as follows.

Two Intel® Xeon® E5-2697 v2 2.70GHz
    48GB 1866Mhz
    and network cards and hard drives and etc.

It is expensive. I've never bought a server before. I currently lease space from a third party at Aurora.

I know I can buy such servers from Dell but, are there any other companies that I should be considering?

2. I don't do anything with Chicago - you futures guys are crazy :p

PM me if you want more info offline, etc.

Depends on the datacenter you are going into - some allow for MSP boxes (managed service providers) and some make you use the datacenter just as some force you to personally deal with your own hardware.

You have a lot of options depending on your circumstances... Supermicro sells an awesome dual-node 1u server - can you pay for 1U at your broker and sublet out the second node in the 1U server? Do you have interent? Do you need an IP/KVM network card? Do you have power or bandwidth restrictions?

It's completely up to you - if you go Dell/HP just buy whatever meets your specs and "set it and forget it". Buy the box "preconfigured" from dell/HP and then pay the data-center employees to "rack & stack" your box - access it remotely and you are good to go.

Happy to answer any questions public or private but you are a little vague with your options as well as your needs.

Cheers

3. My do you need exactly co-location server ? Why not go for some dedicated one anyway ? I do not see any possible reason to make it all happening at all. Or it's just new name for co-location ? I see it's very very old name from the past anyway.