Pulsatile Tinniitus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hoodooman, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Has anyone had it and what did they do about it.
    Thanks for all replies.

2. You need to be evaluated by an ENT who specializes in ear issues to determine if there is an underlying cause. Tinnitus is common and can be very annoying. Pulsative tinnitus is the most annoying. There are certain food groups that tend to aggravate it. I don't recall exactly , but a google search should turn thme up. It's stuff like alcohol, coffee, etc, nothing that a trader would have anything to do with. LOL

Tinnitus is a common side effect of ear surgery as well. My understadning is that there is little that can be done to correct it directly, other than maybe diet. There are coping mechanisms that seem to work pretty well. Basically, tinnitus is the worst if you are in a dead silent room. If there is noise, you tend to lose consciousness of it, kind of like you would an A/c running in the background. So you have the TV on or get a white noise machine.

3. I've been evaluated by an ETN and also had an MRI. He couldn't find anything and made no recommendations of what to do about it. I'll check the foods and see what I can find out. I don't drink alcohol but I do drink stuff with cafeine in it. Thanks a lot for the reply AAA and regards.

4. Been tinny since Korea with all those damned big guns and bombs going off. :cool:

5. Thanks for the reply. Do you have the pulsatile variety.

6. Not sure if they had a name for it back when I was diagnosed, we old timers just call it tinny:p

7. The pulsatile type is the worst according to the net. I can hear my heart beating in my right ear. Some people have it so loud that other people even can hear it. Some people can hear it in both ears.

8. Mine is sort of a high-pitched whistling or rushing sound, just in one ear. Had it for at least thirty years. Never found out what caused it. Mine doesn't pulsate.

I've always thought mine was some damage to the ear drum/anvil/stirrup that doesn't allow enough stimulation of the rest of the auditory sensors. So they produce "phantom noise" on their own. Could be wrong, tho. Haven't looked into it much.

I got used to it.

9. Have had it for about 7 years now. The first few months were tough. Tried many different voodoo remedies found on the net. Nothing really worked long term, and I wonder if any of it ever worked at all.
    You get used to it, believe it or not. The sound of running water all but silences the ringing, least for me. Found it by accident while shaving and realized I couldn't hear the ringing. Got me a CD of water running and it really helped at night when trying to sleep. Give it a try.

10. nursebee

nursebee

An experienced person that tests hearing might have some input also. My tinnitis only lasted a few months but I likely have a 4k hearing loss.

#10     Jul 2, 2012