Puerto Rico now wants statehood.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grandluxe, Nov 7, 2012.

1. November 6, 2012
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Puerto Ricans faced a fundamental question on Election Day: Should they change their ties with the United States?

Citizens in the U.S. island territory cannot vote in the U.S. presidential election, but many were excited to participate in a referendum on whether to push the territory toward statehood, greater autonomy or independence.

The two-part referendum first asked voters if they wanted to change Puerto Rico's 114-year relationship with the United States. A second question gave voters three alternatives if they wanted a change: become a U.S. state, gain independence, or have a "sovereign free association," a designation that would give more autonomy for the territory of 4 million people.

On the second question, 65 percent favored statehood, followed by 31 percent for sovereign free association and 4 percent for independence.

http://www.chron.com/news/world/art...s-on-US-ties-and-chooses-governor-4012422.php

Another Democrat state.

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Just what us taxpayers need, more dependents.

3. Ricter

Ricter

What do you mean, "now"? They've been trying off and on to get it for decades.

4. Ricter

Ricter

Now now, economically speaking they'd be no different from most of the Southern states.

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

No ignore? I guess your mama must have finally given you permission to come out and play.

6. Ricter

Ricter

Lol, schoolyard lukie, so small, so frightened inside.

: )

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

YOU are the one who has been hiding behind ignore, and I'm frightened? Really?

8. Ricter

Ricter

You're too stupid to be ashamed of yourself.

9. what if they found oil in their waters. would that make them acceptable?

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

YOU are the one who has been hiding behind ignore, and I'm frightened?

#10     Nov 7, 2012