Publicly Traded Firms and Portfolio Risk

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by tomahawk, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

" Regarding SIPC, I think this has come up before, but at times one may want to be in all or mostly cash (or cash fund equivalent), potentially putting one over the $100k threshold for protection, even if spread across 3-4 firms."
    quote by tomahawk

Buy risk insurance on the amount not covered by SIPC or instead of 3,4 brokerages use 5,6 or 10. You are looking for a perfect answer and this is not a perfect world.

#11     Jul 27, 2009
  2. How solvent would SIPC be if Treasury/Fed hadn't gone the massive bailout route?

#12     Jul 27, 2009
  3. Thanks for your post jeb.

Regarding your question, who knows what could happen to IB? Maybe a ridiculous transaction tax gets passed and suddenly there's a run on all the discount brokers. Or we wake up some morning to see Peterfly on the news ... in handcuffs. I'm not saying either of these things is very likely, but with all that's come to light in the past year I now believe anything is possible, especially if it involves investors getting hosed.

#13     Jul 28, 2009
  4. Yes, you are correct , anything is possible.

Unfortunately, all the flights to Mars are booked, so you have to do your business here on Earth.

#14     Jul 29, 2009
  5. If you don't mind my asking, who do you use for futures trading and how long have you been with them?

- thanks.

#15     Aug 2, 2009