Psychology: Professional Trader, or professional gambler?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by OPTIONAL777, Jun 16, 2003.

1. My husband is a psychologist, Johns Hopkins graduate, and has been a sports gambler (pro football & basketball) all his life. Last year one of our friends introduced us to short term S & P trading.

My husband immediately felt at home and quickly became a much better trader than I am. (Though I was able to quit my day time job to trade full time, he still makes better entry/exit decisions. )

According to him, his lifelong gambling taught him statistical analysis and risk management better than any trading or college course.

I read some place on this board that some traders feel suicidal if they lose a lot. Please, guys, it's only money... There are other things in life that matter.. Money can be replenished and everything is relative, anyway... Think about the millions of dollars that the super traders are losing everyday....

#71     Jun 22, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

Show me a great trader that doesn't have a bit of a gambler in him.

nitro

#72     Jun 22, 2003
  3. wouldn't it be novel to use problem solving techniques instead og gambling stuff to build an approach to making money?

It never occurs to me to use any gambling stuff when I am invsting or trading.

#73     Jun 23, 2003