Psychology of success

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by oddiduro, Jan 1, 2004.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

Anecdotal stories and threads that pop up on this subject show that in many situations more money does cause more problems. The frequency of this topic being discussed makes me think there is something to it.

#11     Jan 1, 2004
  2. I understand your other concerns, but why in the heck would you buy your girlfriend a Lexus? Call me old fashioned, but that may be a little extreme for a gift. Maybe one of the questions you have to ask yourself is why you felt the need to buy such an extravagant gift for her.

#12     Jan 1, 2004
  3. Atlantic

Atlantic

no money - most problems.

come on - what's the point - more money - put it wherever - sleep well - ... - problems???

#13     Jan 1, 2004
  4. This is a great topic! I'm happy you brought it up. I never gave this 'problem' much thought since I'm not in that situation..yet. Good posts from others.

The idea of surrounding yourself with other successful people sounds like good advice. From personal experience, I am happy and supportive of my friends who, for example, wish to do a Ph.D. in MicroBiology, mountain bike for Canada in the 2008 Olympic Games, or get married and have children. Although financial success might be more enviable or complicated, true friends should be happy for you for whatever you deem success to be.

DNAJ65000

#14     Jan 1, 2004
  5. One who treats everyone differently will be treated differently by others.

#15     Jan 1, 2004
  6. maxpi

maxpi

They may be feeling mixed emotions. They may be aware that your relationship to them is changing and they may wish that was not so.

I am not there yet but it sure looks good. I have decided that if I hit the big time I am going to spread it around enough, maybe in the form of parties, favors, or financial help, with the people I now count as friends, so that the relationships are preserved.

#16     Jan 1, 2004
  7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Understanding how most human behavior is controlled by money (and sex), allows him to observe others behavior, and align himself, if he choses, with those who view life with positive thinking, appreciation, and gratitude. How can he protect his dignity being around the butt of negative comments?

Mainstream thought in reference to “easy money” is that they are out of touch with reality. Many may have a preconceived idea that this “easy money” personality has a state of mind superior to others when in reality it is most common in people with Daddy’s money, or inherited money. He earned this, and he can’t expect anyone to understand what he went through.

Relationships are established by social status. Social status is determined by money, title, and/or reputation. The respect by others, and opinions supported by others.

Class envy is upon him because his social status has changed. You are no longer a proletariat making you an outcast.

If the “Rich Boy” comments were truly negative, I would suggest that he find new friends. His current friends and family most likely do not know themselves as he has learned to know himself, as well as others human behavior. People don’t like change, and they may simply need some time to accept it. He can confide in his friends to find out if the jokes were intended to be negative, because that is the way it appears. He may find out that he was taking things the wrong way. Or some of his friends may realize that they were thinking in a group (class) perspective, not from their inner selves. Be careful not to attempt changing their perspective to meet your desires. Let them be themselves.

To those who ask for money, just say no. Giving is very rewarding, but not to individuals. To charities, and church, yes.
    Giving to individuals is a waste, and a disservice to both parties, unless it is to your parents.
    About his girlfriend, she’d better be giving in her own right to his needs.

This is a great story that he has come this far. He had to break away from social class thinking, and decide to better himself. To maintain courage, and an attitude, to do whatever it takes, changing habits and thinking, to win at this racket.

Most will not better themselves because of the major roadblock of wanting to be accepted, part of a group, or as you state, “Normal”. This mindset is not readily apparent for it is in one’s subconscious mind until they start getting negative feelings from the group, and start feeling abnormal. He has earned a freedom most will never reach. He now has concluded to the only two options available:
    1. Move and develop new friends with positive thinking, and be accepted.
    2. Give up new freedom to be normal, and revert to status quo with a negative thinking group.

It sounds clear to me that he knows what he needs to do, and that is to move away, and start over. He does not need to give up his freedom, and demonstrate to his current friends that he is normal to be accepted. He will be accepted and feel normal within 6 month’s of his move, and keep his freedom.

What a powerful human element. “Normalcy” It can make you, or it can break you.

Jeffrey

#17     Jan 1, 2004
  8. I have read this story as well. It is amazing to see, but many people associate the lottery with trading, and vice versa. There is no changing this, I'm afraid.

Regards
    Oddi

#18     Jan 1, 2004
  9. Very nice post.

I would like to recommend a book to you, which was recommended to me by marketsurfer.

Envy, a theory of social behavior.

It will take about 3 weeks to get it from Amazon.

Regards
    Oddi

#19     Jan 1, 2004
  10. Mixed emotions....

survivors guilt, maybe??

#20     Jan 1, 2004