Psychology is BS for most of you, it's about skills

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TSGannGalt, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Anyways...

Let's get back into topic with all the psychology stuff people talk about in ET...

You know... I haven't cursed or attacked someone... don't be afraid...

#11     Apr 3, 2009
  2. Kull

Kull

you don't fool me

you trade mean reversion with bots, how freakin simple could it be

you trade as simple as anyone, but you make yourself out to be some big math guy

bullshit

trading is simple, you know it, I know it, and now EVERYBODY knows it :p

#12     Apr 3, 2009
  3. Being a former-"Troll"... I love trolls...

Gimme some more dirt on MAESTRO!!!

Anyways...

I really want to hear from the guys posting their performance in ET. I know EricP is completely against my trading philosophy (not psychology) for some trolling reason...

#13     Apr 3, 2009
  4. Study Steve Blass or Rick Ankiel. 2 professional pitchers with skills who just lost the mental edge. Psychology plays a huge part in any competition. Witness Donovan McNabb's nervousness hindering his performance in the Super Bowl a few years ago. Does he have better skills than 99.9% of the population at his job? Yes. Can he control the mental side of it? Doesn't look that way.

#14     Apr 3, 2009
  5. ???

1. Why don't you tell me about Steve Blass and Rick Ankiel?

2. I haven't witnessed McNabb so tell his story too.

Seriously... (I know McNabb from TV commercial that he's football player...)

Anyways...

A. I've suck at baseball and football. I admit that I'm in the lowest leauge of players. It doesn't have to be me... take my 5 year old cousin and his friends... You don't expect people to think they'll do better than McNabb or all the other professionals...

B. Please answer my questions and read my original post. I haven't offended anyone to mind anyone blind-sided to make anyone blind-sided with the context of the thread...

Seriously....

Again...

Read my original post. I know I have an odd reputation for being a troll but I don't think I'm being one...

#15     Apr 3, 2009
  6. eagle

eagle

Let me try to explain (not quite sure if it's true). Math is processed by the brain Left hemisphere, while Psychology is processed by the Right hemisphere, and when both got merged together (mixing up) then thing got confused.

To the topic, I do believe that success in trading is underlying on both skill and psychology because strategy without supportive attitude is ineffective.

#16     Apr 3, 2009
  7. Sometimes it is difficult to really stand in another person's shoes. Empathy is a skill just like any other.

That said, for many people, intention and action do not follow one another. Self-sabotage is often then cause of failed relationships, drug addictions, legal problems, etc. IMO, trading psychology is simple will power.

When in a position, I often think about the random reinforcement idea. Why is random reinforcement such a powerful training tool for dogs?

Why is this trade any different than the 100's of trades before it? I can't change the outcome... These issues are deeply embedded in the human mind - the need to control, the need to know, to understand the "random". One has to throw all that crap away when trading statistical outcomes. That is a hard thing to do as it requires not only an understanding of oneself, but also the intent and subsequent action to change oneself.

Mike

#17     Apr 3, 2009
  8. I think your post sums up my own interpretation of trading psychology quite nicely. It cannot compensate for a poor strategy or replace a good one. Rather good trading psychology allows a trader to properly implement and execute a viable and suitable trading strategy. Anything beyond that is too high-concept for me.

#18     Apr 3, 2009
  9. Sir,

The big trick to life is to ensure that lineal thought is followed by lineal action.

When this process takes place then all silly notions and destructive actions are swept aside.

The absence of this process creates a void which is quickly filled by paralysis and/or circular thinking.
    Both are equally destructive.

Trading requires an open mind together with a repetitive method that skews the odds heavily in favour of the Trader.
    "Lineal thought followed by lineal action"

regards
    f9

#19     Apr 3, 2009
  10. I like that.

#20     Apr 3, 2009