Psychology, are you sure?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Alexis, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Redneck

Redneck

Well Sir

I don’t think your thinking is flawed – it is yours

My approach – to trading

Priority one
    Figure out who is in control (buyers / sellers)… call it market sediment, up / down days – bullish, bearish, fear, greed – whatever – But it is the market’s psychological make up for that minute, hour, day

(I spend the majority of my work day doing exactly this, constantly evaluating, confirming, verifying – this)

Priority two
    The rest of my day is spent entering and exiting based on priority one

The action of performing priorities one and two (“trading”) – are intermingled throughout the entire day

All the other stuff has been thought through, worked out, and planned – before the day begins (zero emotion/ psychology involved - on my part) – It's business

eta - actually planning for tomorrow - while I'm here now

Take Care

RN

#11     Aug 9, 2009
  2. Yogi Berra be my psychological mentor.

"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical"

Baseball and trading are very similar in my opinion so I defer to Yogi.

#12     Aug 9, 2009
  3. Its time you spent some time with a shrink figuring out why this made you angry. You'll end up a better trader.

#13     Aug 9, 2009
  4. Redneck

Redneck

:D :D

Thank You Sir

RN

#14     Aug 9, 2009
  5. There is little room for psychological factors if you have solid analysis and years of experience.
    ------------------------

I agree. What is the psychological impact when you've "been there done that"? None. Of course assuming one hasn't decided to "wager" (ahahahaha) outside his risk tolerance.

Well, maybe not. When the eyelid starts twitching, you relive those moments of despair, those countless failures return to haunt you. screaming "you loser". But.. but... it's different this time., I do have more experience, my analysis is solid........rufffff ruuffff. calm down boy.

#15     Aug 9, 2009
  6. maxpi

maxpi

I love the 90% psych crowd, it means I'll have income forever...

#16     Aug 9, 2009
  7. Redneck

Redneck

Alrighty – I have a plan

I know how much I can lose on each trade, and overall for the day
    I know the share size I will trade for each position
    I know how many times I will scale in (if the opportunity presents itself – or not – if it doesn’t)
    I am pretty sure which stocks I will trade (unless something drastic changes between now and tomorrow – then I will reevaluate, and possibly amend my list)

Tomorrow

I will – Trade (reference previous post for my definition of “trade”)
    I will – Stick to the plan
    I will – Lose or make money
    I will – Be prepared to either go long, or short throughout the day
    I will – Remain detached – while I observe – anticipate – react
    I will – Wash – rinse – repeat

What I don’t know – What the market’s psychology will be tomorrow (up or down day)… but I don’t need to

Zero psychology / emotion on my part – today….

Tomorrow will be all about psychology – I however must never get involved in it.

As I have just posted my thoughts – You have just read my mind

Good Trading

RN

#17     Aug 9, 2009
  8. RN.

I agree with you 105% to 107% percent.

Tomorrow, I will trade according to the psychology of you (if you trade the same stock, and you can be my friend or enemy)

Tomorrow, I will trade according to the psychology of everyone (the overall market).

And most importantly, I will trade without my own psychology.

OK, maybe they are right. Without my own psychology involved, it is 100% mechanical!
    :D

EDIT: How do you determine the psychology of the stock or I should say the psychology of the traders involved in the stock, sector, and overall market? You do it by candle sticks, patterns, charts, etc., and then it becomes mechanical again! See the difference between psychology and mechanical?

#18     Aug 9, 2009
  9. Redneck

Redneck

Hey LT

Ain't seen you in a while:)

As we both know in this silly business - It can be no other way

Take Care Sir

RN

#19     Aug 9, 2009
  10. Redneck

Redneck

LT,

Some things (very few) not even my wife knows Sir - This is one of them

I believe it best we find our own way - as we are all different...

eta - LT you already know my set up - I've posted it a few time

And folks (everyone else)

I'm NOT saying I have the end all be all way - I am saying I have something that works for me...

I just choose to keep it mine

RN

#20     Aug 9, 2009