Psychologist beats mathematicians - MUST READ

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by nitro, Mar 19, 2008.

1. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Just sit back, blur your eyes and try to read every other word in his post. The cryptic message will appear! It's actually a pretty good reading when you are stoned. Makes you brain go in all the directions simultaneously, and of, course, you always forget what you were reading about in the beginning! Perfect! I actually enjoy his posts immensely!

#11     Mar 20, 2008
  2. But there are members here at ET who claim to be able to fully interpret Jack's offerings. I can only surmise that reading market action is child's play by comparison. Imagine the wealth that they must have already accumulated, trading in surreal time.

#12     Mar 20, 2008
  3. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

I understand. But being a psychologist my self Jack's posts offer me the richest material one could possibly ask for. I actually saved them all on my computer. It's simply fascinating and immensely entertaining! The human mind is so multidimensional and infinitely complex. Having a chance to glimpse at an unusual psycho is a thrill to me. :cool:

#13     Mar 20, 2008
  4. Yes.
    It is a very well known indicator which I would like you to use.
    Its called your brain.:)

#14     Mar 21, 2008
  5. This should help if you don't already know. I am quoting theory which "ascribes learning to the strengthening of existing synapses. It is thought that the developing brain overproduces synapses early in life. Subsequently experience, by activating certain nerve cells repeatedly and ignoring others, determines which synapses become mature and stable and which ones wither away in a process of synaptic pruning. Over time, this process leaves us with only highly functional synapses. Learning and memory are thought to result when repeated stimulation of sets of neurons causes the communication across synapses to be strengthened, a condition called long-term potentiation."
    Derived from the February issue of Mind, Mood and Memory, a newsletter from Massachusetts General Hospital.

#15     Mar 21, 2008
  6. As a matter of course, the first step my brain takes is to separate the wheat from the chaff. In so doing, it helps to cut down on nonsensical clutter. On the plus side, I surmise that you must get a disproportionate amount of fiber in your diet.
    :)

#16     Mar 22, 2008
  7. nitro

nitro

Note that we see "anchoring" in the markets all the time. For example, when a market takes a dump, but then recuperates fast, the value of the calls don't catch up as fast as they "should". Is that a mathematical response, or a psychological one?

nitro

#17     Mar 22, 2008
  8. Jerry030

Jerry030

It's importation to step back and really look at this. Predicting Netflix preferences is in essence a one to one relationship: One person and their taste in movies.

A given market in each moment reflects the "taste" of many, many thousands of investors.

The two are very different logically and statically.

Now if you wanted to predict the investing decision of individual investors then the article has some relevance but I can't see the value. Otherwise it really doesn’t apply at all.

Sometimes I think people post and respond to stuff on ET just to talk, even when the conversation is unrelated to the market or just plain illogical.

#18     Mar 23, 2008
  9. bespoke

bespoke

I said his background was similar to mine. Nowhere in my post did I say what he was doing with NetFlix has anything to do with my trading strategies. Wake up buddy.

#19     Mar 23, 2008
  10. Jerry030

Jerry030

Sorry if I picked on your comment when mine were directed at the entire topic.

What's the point of extended discussion of something so unrelated to the market?

Why not post and discuss research that is relevant as there is a lot of it?

#20     Mar 23, 2008