Psychological BS?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by hcour, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Allaces

Allaces

I'm not sure Jack is qualified to speak of carpentry or plumbing.. but if you want to know how to lose money in a trading contest.. he's your man

#21     Apr 30, 2007
  2. Of the tools that Hershey followers have to pick from, I use the channel rules.

Just using them and the experience gained over the last 15 years I have seen a significant improvement in my trading.

For me the issue of pyschology is about attitude. Professionals look at it this way. We are after all, paid to take and manage risk successfully. We don't get paid to do it unsuccessfully. That is the literal truth. If you are emotional during the trading process, you probably will not be able to accurately characterize risk. It will be harder to "see" good entry points. It follows then that you will probably not get a good trade entry, and therefore you will have to endure significant heat (drawdown) while holding your position. This is why emotional traders are called "weak hands", and it is why they often get washed out just before a trade goes in their direction.

Given that, it seems a good idea to try to get a look at how professionals prepare and trade. From my point of view retail traders are often just throwing money away on what is mostly gambling, not trading.

Good luck
    Steve

#22     Apr 30, 2007
  3. maxpi

maxpi

One trader will lose some money and proclaim "the markets are irrational!!", another one will say "hmmm.... markets have an irrational vector to the prices, how can I measure that?"

#23     Apr 30, 2007
  4. Cesko

Cesko

Don't you think your post is one huge contradiction? You acknowledge most problems reg. trading are emotional, yet psychology aspect is BS, at the same time you are struggling.
    You struggle, psychology aspect is BS, most problems are emotional. All in your own words.WTF????

#24     Apr 30, 2007
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

the man and the mind ar not in harmony yet, that why we need psy forum.

#25     Apr 30, 2007
  6. amex2

amex2

in hindsight, i can be the first to admit that my kudos re Fisher appear subjective..the fact is, the guy is a winner...i've traded for 20 years on the floor and off the floor and have watched innumerable 'gurus' blow out after riding hot streaks....and have come across 4 or 5 (out of 100 or more), that have been consistently profitable, regardless of what the market was doing...those 4 or 5 have a unique discipline..that's what differentiates them from the rest...fisher happens to be one of those guys...i can point to thomas peterffy from timber hill/interactive brokers as another, izzy englander from millenium as a another...i know each of those guys...its the exact same mentality in each case, albeit a different 'style'

#26     Apr 30, 2007
  7. Izzy is a character. In one of our meetings, some kissass asked him the top five things he wanted from his traders, and he replied without hesitation "Make money, make money, make money, make money, and make money", and he was serious. Other than the monitors, there is no visible hardware in his offices because he didn't want his traders to have "sweaty balls" while they were working.

#27     Apr 30, 2007

8. Or driving around URULU???? Now that is an adventure!!!!!!!! T28 you KNOW what I mean!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

#28     May 1, 2007
  9. Allaces

Allaces

I know you have never traded in your life.. is that what you meant?

#29     May 1, 2007

10. Precisely! :p :p

#30     May 2, 2007