Prudent Risk Management Is The Only True Edge In TRADING

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 6, 2015.

Is Prudent Risk Management the only true edge in trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

If you pyramid in Blackjack, you can still only win 1 to 1 or 3 to 2. If you pyramid in trading you stand to win a lopsided reward to risk on a particular trade of 10, 15, 20 or more to 1. ---Blackjack and trading are apples and oranges.

#621     Feb 7, 2018
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Poker and Trading are correlated because you can potentially win all the other players money in one hand. There could be 5 or more players at the table that you could win from all at once. You are playing against others like you are in the market and you are not playing against the house. --With poker the house is getting a commission on each hand just like the broker would be getting a commission on each trade. ---Blackjack and trading, no correlation.----Poker and trading, big correlation.

#622     Feb 7, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

:thumbsup:
    Folks maybe confused about the definitions of similarity and correlation.

#623     Feb 7, 2018
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

I will explain this, because it is grammar, not logic or facts... I gave up on those...

We use the world correlation describing the connection between 2 or more events that progress in time. It is usually expressed on a chart where the horizontal line is time and the vertical line is the value.

So we can say, there is a positive correlation between global warming and the CO2 gas in the air, over time. Higher the average temperture, when CO2 increases. (correlation =/=causation but I don't even dare to go there)
    Or there is no correlation between gold and milk futures. One stays flat when the other rallies or drops big. Their prices are completely independent from each other, aka not correlated.

On the other hand we use words as similarity, sameness, kind of,etc. to describe 2 things that have characteristics that overlap, aka, similar or the same. These things just exist, no progress in time is necessary. So we say, oranges are a lot like apples (they are both fruits), and peanuts aren't like those 2.

So when comparing poker and blackjack, correlation shouldn't be used. Now if you really, really want to use it, you could say: "There is a positive correlation between my poker and blackjack gains. (over time again) Anytime I win in poker, I tend to win in blackjack too."

But here you are describing the result of playing those games, not the games themselves.

One last example: You can not say Pekelo and Bones are correlating. You can say they look alike, or they post similar views, but they are never correlating.

#624     Feb 7, 2018
    tomorton likes this.
  5. speedo

speedo

Yes correlation is a mathematical descriptive derived from multi variate analysis while similarity is a subjective thing. And yes, any credible researcher would be very careful about assigning causation to even a high correlation.

#625     Feb 7, 2018
  6. B1S2 quit being so stubborn...you're wrong. This is what happens when you're dogmatic and use absolutes...something you can't stop doing. Are you this insecure that you have to start a thread to make sure you have others agree with you...to make you feel better? I think you're afraid there may be a better way out there...a way that you'll never have! Just be happy with what you have and leave us alone, man.:) You remind me of that dude Marketsurfer.:rolleyes:

#626     Feb 7, 2018
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Sorry you feel that way. I only impart the truth.

#627     Feb 7, 2018
  8. What's that about your parting with the truth?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    #628     Feb 9, 2018
  9. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Of course it is possible. Compound 4 hands & you have 15/1

Mic Drop.

That's The way to beat dealer playing perfect BJ strategy and not counting.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    #629     Feb 9, 2018
  10. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Results risking 1% of betting pot per stake

#630     Feb 10, 2018