Prudent Risk Management Is The Only True Edge In TRADING

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 6, 2015.

Is Prudent Risk Management the only true edge in trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

I used to think that about risk management, but now I'm thinking that's part bullshit. the debate should be about what part, does risk management play in a traders edge. No one in there right mind would pick a random point and just employ risk management, except maybe someone that trades customer funds. It would work but why bother to take on unnecessary heat? Why not look for value? A true edge requires specific rules for specific conditions.

#431     Jan 4, 2017
  2. pinabetal

pinabetal

Exactly...it is quite dipstickish to think that risk management is the only edge. It isn't even AN EDGE. It a part of the process but it will not and cannot be the sole reason for being a successful trader. If all one would have to do is to become an expert at prudent risk management then it would be quite easy for most traders to become wealthy.

#432     Jan 4, 2017
    BONECRUSHER and achilles28 like this.
  3. achilles28

achilles28

It's actually as easy as you say.

#433     Jan 4, 2017
  4. I can't see how anyone in their right mind can confidently execute a trading plan without some kind of a forecasting model.

Why drive without headlights unless you have to?

#434     Jan 4, 2017
  5. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Your forecasts always right?

#435     Jan 4, 2017
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Correct

#436     Jan 5, 2017
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

It IS the only reason

#437     Jan 5, 2017
  8. CyJackX

CyJackX

I think this is all semantics. Entries, exits, and sizing are calculated based on risk, no? It's all the same.

#438     Jan 5, 2017
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Correct. Most traders will not become experts at PRM. It's just not sexy. It is however the mother's milk of trading. --and most will never drink.

#439     Jan 5, 2017
    achilles28 likes this.
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Most traders ignore risk. Most traders lose. You're in the vicinity of the point.

#440     Jan 5, 2017
    achilles28 likes this.