Prudent Risk Management Is The Only True Edge In TRADING

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 6, 2015.

Is Prudent Risk Management the only true edge in trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. MrScalper

MrScalper

Yes, I have a lot of experiences in relation to making and losing money in the big bad world of financial wizardry, most of which I am delighted to have behind me.

You see, knowing is only of any real use once you understand. Most people will go for years and years without understanding, until one day, Eureka, one simple event will suddenly make the person stop dead in their tracks and say, "What a dumb ass trader I have been for all these years, as I have been trying to make money without understanding what it is I am doing, I have to stop this right away and start keeping the money I make. Now, what is the best way for me to do that"

The OP is not to be blamed for his way of thinking, as it is all the text book crap that is spewed out by the Gurus and self professed Experts. The reality is that these people just stop you from learning and doing what it is you need to know and do.

1. Price
    2. Time
    3. Volatility

4. Differentiate between Price & Value.

"To Be, or not to To Be, that is the question"

#401     Dec 5, 2016
    BONECRUSHER and profitlocker like this.
  2. algofy

algofy

Price, time, and vol are all on a chart, throw in market profile overlay (which I don't use) you have value difference. What you have "discovered" isn't a discovery, you're likely just applying a different filter to what everybody else is already seeing.

#402     Dec 5, 2016
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I'm a very successful trader with a ton of experience

#403     Dec 5, 2016
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Reader, this is false in it's entirety.

#404     Dec 5, 2016
    algofy likes this.
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

We've got an individual with 2 monikers talking to themselves here.

#405     Dec 5, 2016
    algofy likes this.
  6. dartmus

dartmus

Rhetorical question: why care what 98% of traders do when it's not helpful in our own searches? I recognize why u care + why it's helpful to you perhaps better than u do yourself but I must avoid that and try to keep this short. Btw I appreciate how strongly you've vocalized your position on this matter because it's been a constant factor (among many other unrelated factors) which have and continue to drive me ...to see things in my charts.

I'm not interested in looking up the definition of sentiment or polluting my mind with what it means to other traders, mainly out of fear it will prevent me from defining new concepts that don't fit the traditional definitions. Tho sometimes I do the opposite, look up the definitions + obsess on precisely the opposite approach... finding out as much as I can about the commonly known wisdoms.

The term 'difference' was mentioned a few posts back. Thank you to the nick who mentioned it. Say things like that again and I will make a point of remembering your name.

Hamp...these patterns u describe aren't necessarily capturing sentiment or the ever changing dynamic direction that persists and is timeless without needing to maintain a precise pattern from 25 your old charts. Tho I assure u correctly formulated directional measures that work today also worked 25 years ago. Changing markets can't violate physical properties that exist but are beyond my ability + desire to describe but I will try anyway, with weak words instead of strong illustrations...and then I will have the closure I've needed on this topic for quite some time. Charts rule the markets in my world but I'm fine with u believing anything u want and promoting those views.

What follows is a lame attempt at closing this door as to whether chart patterns exist and are viable. It works for me, so if u don't get any benefit from the concept I describe that's ok. I prefer no one understand this.

Sentiment forms repeating patterns because it's a quality that has physically measurable properties. Tho maybe it's not a quality and it would be more grammatically correct with a better word that represents a noun, verb adjective or adverb but I will continue to view it my way because it works.

Where u see rigid patterns I see fluid ebbing... Sentiment.

I have what I consider my most truest form of sentiment and I have a surrogate. My surrogate is currently giving me a 'different' reading than it's parent. Both are technically only estimates of sentiment. The surrogate sucks at times but other times it leads so the issue I and many others (even yourself should u ever choose this path for yourself) have to resolve is how to determine when it's safe to ignore a fluid but yet repeating dynamic pattern because it has known flaws.

fwiw, in my experience, there's so many of these differences, it would be impossible not to find them if you will only try hard enough and persist until you do. It's always been that way. Each of us must find our own truth. Someone will always be here denouncing charts saying they're worthless so carry on because long after you move on there will be others who are motivated to discourage those who want to try.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    #406     Dec 5, 2016
    algofy likes this.
  7. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Regarding Collective2 portal comment, FYI I can't make a critical review as I haven't researched the results. If I was to comment why I believe no system on that site can continuously and systematically sustain profitability I'd not be able to provide a scientific answer. All I can say is that IMHO most mechanical systems fail in their pre-programmed ability to ascertain current market conditions as well as an experienced human brain is able to interpret. I have never been involved in design or implementation of code into trading activities, so my comment has little scientific evidence, just an opinion.

#407     Dec 6, 2016
  8. Visaria

Visaria

I'm really envious of everyone on here who has an edge in the market. I myself have no edge, but have made substantial money over 20 years in the markets.

#408     Dec 6, 2016
    gkishot likes this.
  9. MrScalper

MrScalper

If you can explain how MP can show you the difference between price and value, then go ahead. The value area is not the "real value", and I might expand on this some more later, depending on the replies.

If you can not, then maybe you should think again about what it is you think you might know and what you do not know.

So far, apart from Hamp's comments and related replies, it is all "the usual" text book stuff, which is absolutely no use to anyone interested in successful (consistent profits) trading or investing.

#409     Dec 7, 2016
  10. MrScalper

MrScalper

If you can do as you say, you have the ultimate edge.

#410     Dec 7, 2016