Prudent Risk Management Is The Only True Edge In TRADING

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 6, 2015.

Is Prudent Risk Management the only true edge in trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. romik

romik

So what happens when his 80% win rate edge seizes to exist and no other edge can be established? Tomo is correct in stating that lack of knowledge + MM = death by a thousand cuts. But knowledge + MM = overall positive expectancy. Have you read the whole article?

#231     Feb 16, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  2. tommo

tommo

I've had my edges die on me before. I go back to trading 1 lots and scale right back and regroup. I'm not saying MM isn't required. I just am saying it's common sense (at least to me).

But it isn't an edge.

I've seen guys make fortunes that take insane risks. Risking 10k to make 1k. But they're still going strong 10-20 years later and have enough money to never need to work again. All I'm saying is textbook learning is very different to reality. Money management is no edge.

It's like saying the difference between a great racing driver and a mediocre one is his crash helmet. Yeah without a crash helmet you probably won't be around for long. But it's not going to decide whether you win races or not.

#232     Feb 16, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  3. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

You just come across as a person who has found something that works for you. Lets toast!
    But Gurus sell money management and psychology because its easy money and most people have problems with both or just one. If you don't have an edge, money management keeps you in the game until you find your edge. On an further note money management also give you more time to deal with your psychology issues. You've said it yourself money management means you just lose money slower and that deserves another Toast!

Losing defines your weakness and as for winning? It only postpones the inevitable; the magnitude of the inevitable depends on how long you’ve been losing.
    (Its money management, psychology and Knowledge)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    #233     Feb 16, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  4. romik

romik

Tomo, folks that achieve 80% win rate are in the minority. For the rest of folks that will never achieve that consistency only proper money management and of course knowledge of price action or whatever else they choose to look at will prevent from going completely broke (subject to etc.).

#234     Feb 16, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  5. romik

romik

"...That is the reason that most traders end up losers. They don’t allow for the possibility of a major string of losing trades." - extract from that article, spot on. Has, does and will happen to the vast majority in trading.

#235     Feb 16, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

EXACTLY RIGHT

#236     Feb 17, 2016
    .sigma likes this.
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

NO----Gurus sell high win rates and sure things--not prudent risk management.

#237     Feb 17, 2016
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

NO---Money management IS the edge.

#238     Feb 17, 2016
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Just as with Prudent Risk Management in trading, you do not have a full grasp of what is meant by Prudent Risk Management in racing.. A crash helmet is a very small portion of risk management. A stop is a very small portion of risk management.

#239     Feb 17, 2016
    romik likes this.
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Your contention that gambling is an edge is rejected on it's face.

#240     Feb 17, 2016