Prudent Risk Management Is The Only True Edge In TRADING

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 6, 2015.

Is Prudent Risk Management the only true edge in trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. dealmaker

dealmaker

"There isn't one indicator that is the holly grail. Holly grail of trading is risk management."
    -John Person

#11     Jul 6, 2015
    Picaso, Buy1Sell2, trader99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Blueline

Blueline

Depends on your definition of what "successful" is?
    One thing for sure is that the market is always "right". You don't get paid if you're wrong, you only get paid for being "right". Not only being right, you need to be "consistently right".

Now what is missing from your post is "conviction". You are on a theory that one can make money without knowing the direction of the markets which is possible. But have you ever imagined those who knows the direction and have that conviction? It would put your "only true edge" & "successful" to shame.

Open your mind!

#12     Jul 7, 2015
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Everyone is able to pick direction. It is the ability to exercise prudent risk management that is the only true edge in trading.

#13     Jul 7, 2015
  4. interdim

interdim

"Everyone is able to pick direction", that's true, but not everyone is able to pick the correct direction. I don't care how good or prudent your money management is, if you are not able to generate winning trades, your prudent money management won't provide you the edge as you say or save you. It will be just a matter of time before you are on the sidelines licking your wounds.

#14     Jul 7, 2015
    BONECRUSHER and barcadia like this.
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Everyone generates winning trades. Everyone generates losing trades.It's what you do when you have a winner or loser that is the edge. Thank you for your posting.

#15     Jul 7, 2015
    MACD, .sigma, Montbra and 1 other person like this.
  6. interdim

interdim

I responded directly to your comment and now you are changing or initiating a new comment to what I originally responded too. When I see this happen, with all due respect, it tells me not to waste anymore of my time. Hope the best for you.

#16     Jul 7, 2015
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

The change was made by you. I responded to your proposition that --if one cannot generate winning trades etc. -- My response stands. Everyone generates winning trades.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    #17     Jul 7, 2015
  8. vinc

vinc

actually, I've been doing this, as an experiment - 2 years now, entries based on this site:
    https://www.random.org/
    plus an arbitrary stop / don't know if it counts as prudent mm/, so far - can't beat this strategy on my real account..no clue why? luck perhaps, but you need to be lucky in this business - even Simons admits it :)

#18     Jul 7, 2015
    shuraver likes this.
  9. vinc

vinc

people fool themselves they can pick direction correctly - but lots of research indicates otherwise.. they are better off taking truly random entries than listening to their guts feelings :)

#19     Jul 7, 2015
  10. loyek590

loyek590

when does your random experiment take a profit?

#20     Jul 7, 2015