Prudent Risk Management Is The Only True Edge In TRADING

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 6, 2015.

Is Prudent Risk Management the only true edge in trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. Lol. When are you going to start automating you old codger?

#151     Jan 27, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  2. Redneck

Redneck

Likely never

1.) I ain't smart enough
    2.) Doubtful I would trust it
    3.) I actually love trading / watching the charts / reading story as it unfolds

;)

RN

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    #152     Jan 27, 2016
    toucan and Buy1Sell2 like this.
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Yes. Entries are all fine and dandy but they are not an edge. The edge is how you manage those entries, indeed how you allocate your resources. Trade from bias of fear? Absolutely. The specifics of prudent risk management are the edge and I don't divulge those specifics other than the 2 percent of TLNW rule.. Each person has to define their own specifics for their edge. Most foiks will not establish those specifics due to "need to be right" "Gambler mentality" " Narcissistic personality disorder" or perhaps just plain laziness. It's hard for people to understand that successful trading is about prudent risk management and that's all it's about. It's counterintuitive to human nature.--Just so everyone knows, I day trade nearly every day.--Izzy

#153     Jan 27, 2016
  4. Funny you mention that. One of my algos developed a mind of its own and actually makes some money. Not sure why, as I pay people to code them. I actually trade it with small size just for shits and giggles. Very puzzling

#154     Jan 27, 2016
  5. bone

bone

Just from what I have personally seen from new clients and trading house acquaintances over the years - position management is one of those trading axioms that gets platitudes and lip service, but is rarely deployed in a systematic and uniform practice by individual traders. Just sayin.

Seems like most guys spend 95% + of their energy on the entry signal and managing the position is a weak afterthought. Which is a shame, really. Just my 2 cents.

#155     Jan 27, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

EXACTLY!

#156     Jan 28, 2016
  7. A GOOD ENTRY REDUCES RISK

Any real trader knows this and it is the hardest part of the success formula. Managing trades (stops and targets) is the easier part

#157     Jan 28, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

FALSE (IT IS EASY, BUT IT IS NOT EASIER THAN ENTRIES)

#158     Jan 28, 2016
  9. I said easier. Not that easy though. Takes time to master. Entry refinement took me much longer

#159     Jan 28, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Entries are very easy to spot and learn. Anyone can do it. Typically within the first few days of looking at charts. Risk management is the part that most cannot handle. It's easy as well, but most never embrace. Traders do not lose money due to bad entries, rather they lose money because when they are wrong, they won't admit it.---and when they are right, they won't exploit it. It's that simple.

#160     Jan 28, 2016