Prudent Risk Management Is The Only True Edge In TRADING

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Buy1Sell2, Jul 6, 2015.

Is Prudent Risk Management the only true edge in trading?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. No. Swing trading is not that simple. No offense, but I don't think you are a real trader. You don't just place random swing trade orders without assessing intraday market bias. Any swing trader worth a shit knows this

#101     Jan 24, 2016
    d08 and Buy1Sell2 like this.
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Actually it is that simple. You must divorce yourself from the idea that I need to place "correct" trades and rather reap the full benefits from the ones that actually are correct.

#102     Jan 24, 2016
  3. Mr. B1S2

Do you have any idea what momentum is and what ignites it? If you did, then you would understand that there are better entries that can increase your win rates. Ignoring entry criteria is beyond amateur.

#103     Jan 24, 2016
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Successful trading is one of the simplest endeavors one will ever undertake. --Most people cannot trade successfully.

#104     Jan 24, 2016
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

CORRECT

#105     Jan 24, 2016
  6. risk management + HIGH percentage of winning trades = BEST TRADERS

Not many will achieve this level

#106     Jan 24, 2016
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

High percentage of winning trades is easily achieved. There is no edge in that--anyone can do that. The only true edge in trading is in utilization of prudent money management which includes not scaling or out of trades as well.

#107     Jan 24, 2016
  8. Very true, but higher percentage winners + high risk:reward ratio is rarely achieved

Only those in the know can do this. Obviously you don't know

#108     Jan 24, 2016
    Fundlord likes this.
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

You have made my point for me. Anyone can achieve high win rates. In fact, that is what most traders especially newbies focus on. Thus, the books and courses etc etc etc. The only edge in successful trading is what do with the trades. This is where the great traders focus. Not on "will I be right", but on "I'm getting out quickly when wrong" and " If right , I will exploit that to the max." Really quite simple and thank you for your corroboration.

#109     Jan 24, 2016
    dartmus likes this.
  10. That's true and neophytes should only focus on risk management if they wan't to protect capital (and possibly bleed slowly). Many traders at this stage, but I assure you, plateaus will not be broken until they learn to read price. I went through all the aformentioned stages

#110     Jan 24, 2016