Protection From Gun Violence

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oldtime, Dec 15, 2012.

1. piezoe

piezoe

[The UT clock tower incident comes immediately to mind, mid sixties, killed over a dozen and wounded many more. There are other incidents as well.]

The earlier incidents were rare, and I agree completely with your post. But I'm still not in favor of either semi-automatic or automatic weapons being sold in the U.S. because we are culturally not Switzerland and our gun laws are much less strict than the Swiss laws and haphazard from State to State. I could change my mind if the U.S. were to copy the Swiss gun laws exactly with strict enforcement and strict rules regarding access to ammunition etc., and of course that would require universal registration of all firearms..

I don't see any indication that you can go to a gun show in Switzerland and walk out with a semi-automatic pistol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

#81     Dec 17, 2012
  2. piezoe

piezoe

I can go along with that.

I am very encouraged by what I'm reading in this thread started by oldtime that is so germane to what is going to become a renewed national debate on gun control law. I see a coalescing around a middle ground that could lead to something very constructive at the federal level. I hope the result won't be yet another piecemeal, ineffective bad law that just gets in the way and complicates gun ownership without a commensurate gain in public safety.

377OHMS brought up Swiss gun ownership which prompted me to read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland
    which I found interesting and informative.

#82     Dec 17, 2012
  3. pspr

pspr

LOL I don't think RCG knows his parents. Well, at least not his father. :D

#83     Dec 17, 2012
  4. I believe you're dead wrong.

The house republicans have already basically sold out their supporters on taxes. If they sell out on gun control, they know there will be end of career ramifications for many of them.

This is not a debate, as far as I'm concerned. There is nothing to debate.

#84     Dec 17, 2012
  5. here you go piezoe, just like Opie said, this is what you want

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico

A common misconception is that firearms are illegal in Mexico and that no person may possess them

The right to keep and bear arms was first recognized as a constitutional right under Article 10 of the Mexican Constitution of 1857.[7] However, as part of the Mexican Constitution of 1917, Article 10 was changed[8] where-by the right to keep and bear arms was given two separate definitions: the right to keep (derecho a poseer in Spanish) and the right to bear (derecho a portar in Spanish).[9] The new version of Article 10 specified that citizens were entitled to keep arms (own them) but may only bear them (carry them) among the population in accordance to police regulation.[10] This modification to Article 10 also introduced the so-called ...[arms] for exclusive use of the [military]... (in Spanish: ...de uso exclusivo del Ejército...), dictating that the law would stipulate which weapons were reserved for the armed forces, including law enforcement agencies, for being considered weapons of war.

sound like something you could get behind?

how bout we send you and Barbara Boxer to Juarez for a while to do a study?

We have to do something. If there's a problem we can fix it. Because that's what we do. We're the US government.

And while you are down there, you may want to check out their drug laws, and see if there is anything more we can do this side to make drugs even more illegal.

glad I could help
    you can thank me later

well, gotta go work on obesity, all I need is some more funding, any ideas who would make a good fat czar?

#85     Dec 17, 2012
  6. piezoe

piezoe

I could be. I guess we will see.

#86     Dec 17, 2012
  7. pspr

pspr

No sh*t Jackson. I think the drug cartels have educated us all to the gun laws in Mexico. When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. Or you can buy one from Eric Holder.

Our gun laws are fine and Constitutionally protected. But some of you liberals need to go re-work the crazies laws. There are a lot people out there who don't take their meds or haven't been prescribed any and need to be under medical supervision or detainer. Since this will effect mostly liberals you guys should have the first crack at fixing the problem.

#87     Dec 17, 2012
  8. sorry, I realize you can't comprehend any language if it is not spoken in the vulgar right wing vernacular you are accustomed to.

pity about that education of yours, I did so enjoy learning how to read

let me guess, post Dept of Education?

#88     Dec 17, 2012
  9. pspr

pspr

That's all you got old man? Just a few broken sentences of nonsensical put downs like a school boy. Well, maybe it made you feel better since you have nothing intelligent to say.

#89     Dec 17, 2012
  10. Humpy

Humpy

The psychologists reckon a gun to most young men is a penis extension, especially if it is undersized.
    I would post a pic but ...............:D

#90     Dec 18, 2012