Protection From Gun Violence

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oldtime, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Humpy

Humpy

The bow and arrow gave way to more efficient at killing weapons like guns - so that argument is false. Wars didn't stop, they became more bloody.

Most Soviet helicopters were shot down by US given stinger missiles not by men on mountain tops.

In a Sovietski type of society angry young men would be in the secret police I expect.

In France they might be painting on the " Left Bank ". A bohemium area, raging over art, literature, philosophy etc.

So IT IS partly down to local culture or lack of it. Cowboy culture produces gunmen !!

#51     Dec 17, 2012
  2. like I said man, if you want to stop gun violence, just do it like they do in Mexico where it is illegal for anyone to possess a firearm.

there, are you finally happy now?

#52     Dec 17, 2012
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Anybody is naive who thinks that the US government won't take military action against the people.
    When Obama comes out and says to give up certain ammo and weapons, you will submit or else.

#53     Dec 17, 2012
  4. so how's that drug war working out?

didn't they say we are supposed to give up our drugs? Submit or go to jail.

Haven't checked in a while

who is winning?

#54     Dec 17, 2012
  5. govt is winning and we the citizens are losing ( as collateral damage to our freedoms ), of course that hasn't stopped nor will it ever stop drug use.

But you see the drug war isn't about stopping drugs it's about expanding
    the power (money )of govt (fed state and local).

#55     Dec 17, 2012
  6. BSAM

BSAM

You're not reading the charts, brother Old.
    You're not reading the charts.

#56     Dec 17, 2012
  7. ktm

ktm

This is so racist. Why can't a middle eastern guy celebrate his kid's birthday in the traditional manner without a visit from the police?

#57     Dec 17, 2012
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Cause bullets are more exciting to some people than cake and ice cream.

#58     Dec 17, 2012
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

There are a lot of burglaries around here, things go missing. (shrug)

#59     Dec 17, 2012
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Useful statistics, thanks. I'm OK with the second amendment, uniform enforcement of waiting periods and background checks, and voluntary gun registration which could help recover a stolen gun. But I'm not OK with exchanging so few as a dozen deaths for the right to own semi-automatic or automatic weapons. I don't see the second amendment requiring that we have the right to own these particular weapons any more than we should have the right to own a hydrogen bomb. They are not needed for self defense, and they are not needed for sport, and they are not needed as a defense against government tyranny.

I want to see the NRA come up with something constructive and realistic. So far all I'm hearing is "everyone should be armed" then there would be less crime. Even if that were true, or is true, do you want to live in a country where you have to be saddled with the burden of carrying a gun everywhere? Think of the unintended consequences. I don't like the message that sends to our children either. I want freedom from guns just as much as I want freedom to own a gun and use it.

I'm a little weary of Mr. Winchester's and Mr. Remington's votes counting more than mine.

#60     Dec 17, 2012