Protection From Gun Violence

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oldtime, Dec 15, 2012.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Because a person believes in some gun control, does not make a person a liberal.
    It means you have a person who can think.
    Everybody believes in some degree of arms control.
    Some of you need to stop letting other people tell you how to think.

#31     Dec 16, 2012
  2. Humpy

Humpy

Well that's alright then as long as BB is happy I suppose.

squark squark

:D

#32     Dec 16, 2012
  3. wjk

wjk

This article is written by the mother of a mentally ill child. A good read.

http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

"I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza's mother. I am Dylan Klebold's and Eric Harris's mother. I am Jason Holmes's mother. I am Jared Loughner's mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho's mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it's easy to talk about guns. But it's time to talk about mental illness."

"I agree that something must be done. It's time for a meaningful, nation-wide conversation about mental health. That's the only way our nation can ever truly heal."

#33     Dec 16, 2012
  4. That's ok - some can detect the sense of irony, if not sarcasm, in your original post...

Your later comment about Oakland's OWS "peaceful protestors" all packing firearms, however, sounds a bit....risky... :D

#34     Dec 16, 2012
  5. I disagree.

Adam Lanza's mother left several weapons and ammo that were accessible by her mentally ill son, who in turn killed 30 people.

She even took him to a shooting range.

If his mother were still alive I have to wonder if she would have been prosecuted.

#35     Dec 16, 2012
  6. wjk

wjk

I indicated in another thread my disbelief that she taught him to shoot. I think the point being made in the article is that most of these mass murders are being committed by mentally ill individuals.

I often speak of responsible gun ownership. Lanza's mom would seem to have been irresponsible on several fronts.

#36     Dec 16, 2012
  7. Both happen way too often. It's hard to ignore the fact that these mass shooting are getting worse. More research is needed to see what we can do about it.

#37     Dec 16, 2012
  8. December 16th, 2012
    04:30 AM ET
    Man stands in mall parking lot, fires 50 shots in the air
    A man stood in the parking lot of a shopping mall in Southern California on Saturday and fired 50 shots into the air.

Police didn’t say why, but his actions prompted many stores in the open-air Fashion Island mall in Newport Beach to lock their doors.

No one was hurt by the bullets raining down, but one person suffered minor injuries while trying to flee the area, police said.

Newport Beach Police quickly took the man, 42-year-old Marcos Sarinana Gurrola, into custody, but not before calling in the bomb squad when the man said he had more ammunition in the trunk of his car.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/1...king-lot-fires-50-shots-in-the-air/?hpt=hp_t3

Crazy.......

#38     Dec 16, 2012
  9. If she really wants to have a discussion she should contact the ACLU who in the 70's sued on behalf of patients rights resulting in an enormous population of the mentally ill being let out on the street.

As a result, institutions were closed and the homeless population exploded.

So, if you want to get to the root of the problem start with the liberals and ACLU.

#39     Dec 16, 2012
  10. What happens way too often is softheaded twits like yourself insisting we give up our "Bill of Rights " to assuage your hysteria.

#40     Dec 16, 2012