Protection From Gun Violence

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oldtime, Dec 15, 2012.

1. speaking of local loonies running amok with their firearms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Canada

#21     Dec 16, 2012
  2. And liberals shouldn't be allowed to leave their homes or speak in public without :

1. psychyatrists' ok that the person is sane
    2. Police certificate declaring they agree to the them being a responsible citizen.

They should however be taxed at 95% of net income if they meet the above criteria.

#22     Dec 16, 2012
  3. Humpy

Humpy

Can't you just see the crazy young man polishing and re-polishing his gun. Drooling over it as a source of instant power. Probably wanking over it too. What a sicko.

Should be locked up and given electric shock therapy.

We are so civilized in this country that our mass murderers get luxury accomodation for life with the latest computer games and good food. Why not put the sickos up against each other with live ammo !!

#23     Dec 16, 2012
  4. Humpy

Humpy

It is a primary duty of the State to protect their citizens from each other.

#24     Dec 16, 2012
  5. Which state would that be ?

#25     Dec 16, 2012
  6. Humpy

Humpy

Do they really need that amount of fire power when visiting your daughter OT ??

:p :p

#26     Dec 16, 2012
  7. You making suppositions with little basis in fact or experience. Moreover, a few of your arguments are illogical. Even if you assume crazy people go to crowded areas and commit mass murder to make a social statement, there is no reason to beleive that greater gun ownership would deter them. Also, popularity doesn't dent appeal for many: cars are commonplace, and plenty of people are infatuated with them.

Other countries' experiences with guns don't shed a great deal of light on us as we are speaking about different cultures. The Swiss are a traditionally peaceful nation. They don't breed violent
    people they way we do. Our problem is pretty unique among developed countries.

It may be true that had moviegoers in that theater in Aurora been armed then the carnage would have been reduced.
    We can reasonably speculate that greater gun ownership could curtail the numbers killed in mass shootings but not that such events would occur in the first place. Many of these crazy killers appear ready to die already. I doubt they are fearing death when they go on a rampage. My guess is that they wear body armor to ensure a greater likelihood of their being able to keep killing. I would also guess that with 100 million or more American adults walking around with guns, there would be a host of unintended consequences.

But there is one irrefutable logical statement we can make that is immune to speculation: If Adam Lanza had not gotten his hands
    on a semi automatic rifle and two sidearms, he would not have savagely murdered 20 first graders and 6 adults with guns.

It may be too late to rein in guns in our country, but nonetheless, I would be happy to waive my right to gun ownership if it were to make less likely a massacre like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary school.

#27     Dec 16, 2012
  8. Humpy

Humpy

Any civilized State it seems.
    Put the killers behind bars or descend into a Syrian situation.
    If the racist etc. wars start in the USA you might well wish noone had guns. And don't think it couldn't happen here.

#28     Dec 16, 2012
  9. yawn ,I'm unconcerned about that.

#29     Dec 16, 2012
  10. pspr

pspr

I think Humpy's last statement makes more sense if he had said, "be glad we've got guns."

#30     Dec 16, 2012